From:
Carol Guchek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Guchek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:04:04 -0400

Here are the responses for the Bled Cream Cake from Slovenia:

I found this one for the Cream Cake with a yahoo.com search
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061008171737AADyzIx. It's a
lot like my favorite GF cake recipe--less sugar & whip cream is added
alternately, not w/ eggs/sugar.

Whipped Cream Cake

Preheat oven to 350º.   Grease an 8x12 inch pan. Sift dry ingredients:

1 1/2 c. oriental rice flour (a must!)

2 tsp. gluten-free baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

 Whip until stiff:

1 c. cold whipping cream

 Add:  2 eggs

         1 c. sugar

         1 tsp. g.f. vanilla

Continue beating until no longer gritty.   Add dry ingredients,  blend in w/
wire whisk. Pour into prepared pan. Tap on counter to remove air bubbles.
Bake for 30-45 min, or until it tests done. Top w/ cinnamon sugar while
still warm or cool well & frost.  Make a double recipe in a 9x13” pan.
(from The Joy of Gluten-Free Cooking,  Juanita Kisslinger)

I found this. It sounds like something my grandmother made with a regular
cake recipe made in a very thin layer.  She died before the time of cake
mixes.

Bled Cream cake

Defrost phyllo dough. On a non-stick cookie pan, stack 8-10 thin sheets of
phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with melted butter before laying on the
next sheet. Bake this layered sheet at 375degrees for about 10-12 minutes
until light golden brown. Carefully slide the baked sheet into the bottom of
a rectangular cake pan.
Vanilla Cream
1 c. sugar
4 tbsp. cornstarch
¼ tsp. salt
4 c. milk
4 egg yolks, beaten
4 tbsp. butter
4 tsp. vanilla
Blend sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Combine milk and egg yolks,
gradually stir into sugar mixture. In a saucepan cook over medium heat,
stirring constantly until it thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute
more. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla Cool mixture by placing
the saucepan in a larger container of ice water. Pour the cooled mixture
into the cake pan that has been lined with the sheet of baked phyllo. Cover
with foil and refrigerate until the mixture is well set.
Now prepare the top of the Kremsnita by stacking another 8-10 sheets of
phyllo dough on a non-stick cookie pan, as before, brushing melted butter
between each layer. Cut this stack into equal rectangles making sure they do
not touch each other. These pieces will top the Kremsnita! Bake the same as
the first sheet.
Whipped Topping
1 quart whipping cream
½ cup sugar
Whip the cream and gradually add sugar until mixture is thick, fluffy and
stands in firm peaks.
Remove cake pan from the refrigerator and spread the whip cream gently and
evenly on top of the vanilla mixture. Finally, top with the pre-cut and
baked squares of pastry dough. Dust with powdered sugar.
Refrigerate until ready to serve. Cut into sections following the lines of
the top pastry dough squares and serve.

Thank you to all. If I attempt to make gluten free versions of these cakes
and they are successful, I will share the recipes. I have converted another
Slovenian recipe for a cake called Potica (pronounced Po-teet-sa). If anyone
out there would like the recipe, please let me know. It’s like a rolled, nut
bread. I make it in a Bundt pan. It’s usually made for holidays.    ~~Carol
in NJ