Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:33:19 EST

Hello all!

I am so grateful for the responses to my post for restaurants in the Hood
River, Oregon area.  I must say up front that Pete, who has lived in Hood  River
for 22 years, is a wealth of information on best places to eat for anyone  on
a gf diet.  He even tipped me off that a bridge would be  closed in mid-April
(farther down at Maryhill).  Here is my  summary, beginning with Pete's res
ponse (thank you!):

***

...... the restaurants [in the Gorge do not] have a specific gf menu -  but
most of them have gf items on their menu or will make adjustments to modify
something that is not (leave off the flour coating on a fish item, substitute
rice for pasta). The servers and particularly the chefs are pretty aware of
gluten.

Some of our favorites are (all are in Hood River, unless marked):

Abruzzo - Italian, but they almost always have a risotto or seafood dish
that I can eat, or they will put one of their pasta dishes over rice.

Bette's Restaurant - good for breakfast or lunch - eggs, potatoes, etc for
breakfast, salads for lunch

Casa el Mirador - good Mexican in The Dalles. Make sure you get corn
tortillas, and some of their sauces have flour, so you need to ask

Celilo - upscale NW and local cuisine

Crazy Pepper Cantina - good Mexican in Hood River. Make sure you get  corn
tortillas, and some of their sauces have flour

Dixie's Southern Grub - southern, New Orleans style cooking

Egg Harbor - good for breakfast or lunch - eggs, potatoes, etc for
breakfast, salads for lunch

Los Reyes - good Mexican in Bingen, WA. Make sure you get corn  tortillas,
and some of their sauces have flour

Mesquitery - mesquite grilled seafood, chicken, and beef - almost all  gf

Nora's Fish House - good selection of fresh seafood, most gf

Red Panda Mongolian Grill - create your own stir-fry & skip the  noodles, and
you have a gf lunch or dinner. They will bring rice to your table.  Ask them
to clean the grill first.

Riverside Grill at the Hood River Inn - good selection of gf items,  very
accommodating about substitutions, on the river, and great  prices

6th Street Bistro - NW & local cuisine in a comfortable setting - good
selection of gf choices

South Bank Kitchen - gourmet to go - they usually have one or two items  that
are gf, and a great flourless chocolate torte!

Stonehedge Gardens - great steaks, lobster, rack of lamb & wild salmon  in an
1890's home. Great outdoor dining if the weather is good

Three Rivers Grill - NW steaks & seafood, great view of the Columbia  & Mt
Adams, large outdoor deck.

There are 6 brew pubs in the Gorge, which I hear make good beer, but you  and
I cannot drink it, and their menus are gf limited. Fortunately there are
also 22 wine tasting rooms, all of which are gluten free!

There are two health food stores - both carry gf food
Mother's Market - 108 Hwy 35, 541-387-2202
Rosauer's Supermarket - they have a health food section called
Huckleberry's. 1867 12th St, 541-386-1119

*********

Not sure if you'll be in Vancouver, WA (across the
bridge from Portland...) There's a gluten-free
market that has over 1000 gf items.
_www.LingonberriesMarket.com_ (http://www.LingonberriesMarket.com)

*********

[I recommend the] Riverside Grill located inside the Hood River  Inn.   Exit
64 off I-84.  It is in the commercial complex at the  Oregon/Washington Bridge
junction.  It's on the Oregon side, right on the  river.  There is the hotel,
gas stations, McDonalds and a few other fast  food places... For upscale
meals, there is the Columbia Gorge Hotel, located in  west Hood River and the
Skamania Lodge located across the river in Stevenson,  WA.   If you get as far as
The Dalles (20 min east), go to the Baldwin  Saloon. You might check out
_www.ColumbiaGorge.com_ (http://www.columbiagorge.com/) .  That's a  local
magazine/guide to the Gorge.