From:
Cece Hilliard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cece Hilliard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2009 13:20:47 -0600

I received two replies about restaurants in Branson, MO.  One recommended the Pasta House and the other person is the leader of the support group in that area and had a lot of info which I have copied below.  Thanks to both of you for your input.
Cece

As far as eating out, we regularly eat lunch at Panera which is a soup and
salad and sandwich shop.   I have GF menus/lists from all of the restaurants
that I will recommend below.  Let me know if you need any of them.

Branson also has just about every chain restaurant that you can imagine.  We
have a GF menu for Cracker Barrel and Fuddruckers has hired someone to go
thru their menu and identify allergens, etc., but no GF info yet.  Ruby
Tuesdays now has a GF menu but we have not been there yet to see if they are
aware) and Red  Lobster does not have a GF menu.

We like to eat at Landrys which is a seafood restaurant primarily and the
chef is very willing to accomodate.    The general manager recently had the
chef go thru their entire menu and come up with a gluten free one.  I can
send it to you or you can ask for it when you go there.  She has it saved on
her computer.  Just tell your server of your needs.

We also eat at the Plaza View on the ninth floor of the  Plaza Hotel.  They
have a few choices -- their prime rib is GF minus the au jus  as are their
steaks and of course, baked potato and salad.  They serve dessert with their
entree and they usually bring my husband vanilla ice cream when the rest of
us are  enjoying the cheesecake or whatever they are serving for the
evening.  (This is one of our favorite places in Branson to eat.)

They have live entertainment in the evenings -- Kenny Parrott sings from 5 -
7:30 pm.   Kenny is the lead singer in the Buck Trent show.  Kenny does not
have a cover charge.

Lone Star Steakhouse and Saloon now has a GF menu.  We were in there a few
weeks ago and made sure that they were aware of the GF menu and the manager
printed some out so that they would have them readily available.  We have
McDonalds and Wendys if you like fast food and I have a GF listing  for
Wendys, but McDonalds no longer has one.   Oh, the Steak N Shake by
Celebration City is HORRIBLE!  We ate there once and it was awful!
However, there is another Steak N Shake location down by old Branson near
the intersection of Rt 65 and the strip (RT 76/Country Music Blvd.) and I
hear it is good.  We have not been there yet.

 We have a GF menu for Olive Garden which lists three things -- we have
eaten  there and had the pork filletino with seasoned broccoli and salad
without croutons.  I do not think that the GF choices are kid friendly,
though, and it is not my favorite place to eat.  I am Italian and it is just
not "real" Italian food in my opinion.

The Outback Steakhouse in Branson is NOT part of the chain and DOES NOT have
a GF menu.  However, we have eaten there.  You just have to ask them what
they have that is not marinated and they can grill a piece of meat, baked
potato and salad.

Montana Mikes is a fairly new steakhouse on the strip (Route 76) right near
the Titanic.  There is also a second location on Rt 248 right across the
street from KMart and the Country Mart grocery store.  They are very willing
to work with you.  We have eaten there numerous times and it was delicious.
I believe that the best choices would be the steaks (salt and pepper only),
baked or mashed potatoes/no gravy, green salad w/o croutons and either bring
your own dressing or use vinegar and oil.  Make sure to tell your server of
your needs -- or you can always ask for the manager.

There is a new Chilis just off Rt 65 two exits (at Branson Hills Parkway)
before 76 Country Boulevard in Branson.  It is right in front of the new
Target and Home Depot.  We have eaten there several times and they have a GF
menu online that you can print off -- they ask that you print it off each
month as they  update it every month.  We love their chips and salsa, but
the chips are not GF because of cross contamination when they are fried, so
we always take a bag of Tostitos with us when we go there.

We also have a Bob Evans (on the strip)  which I have been told can
accomodate a GF meal, but we have not been to it yet.

Dennys has a GF menu and we eat breakfast there maybe once a month or so.

We have eaten at Joe's Crab Shack  (at Branson Landings) several times.
The kitchen manager's name is RJ and he was VERY accomodating.  They
prepared mahi mahi with fresh mango salsa and white rice and steamed
veggies.  It was delicious!  He said that they could prepare almost any of
their fish selections for us.  We had lunch there a couple of weeks ago and
they now have a GF menu.  Just be sure to remain vigilant because the
servers are not very knowledgeable about gluten free.

I was also told by another support group leader that she just ate at
Garfields in Branson Landings and they were very accomodating to her
requests.  We have not been to Garfields yet, so cannot give any personal
comments.

Another new restaurant just opened at the Branson Landings and it is called
Texas Land and Cattle Steakhouse and they have a gluten free menu.  We have
not eaten there yet, but it appears that you will need to bring your own
salad dressing and butter.

Cantina Laredo at the Branson Landings also has a GF menu now--we have eaten
there and it was very good.  There is also a Famous Dave's and Macaroni
Grill at the Branson Landings and I believe that they both have GF menus,
but we haven't personally eaten at either one.  A lady in my support group
tells me that she has eaten at both of them, though, and there was no
problem.

It is also my understanding that Candlestick Inn can accomodate a GF diet
but we have not been there either.  It is on the other side of Lake
Taneycomo overlooking the Branson Landings.

We usually purchase packets of salad dressings from McDonalds and carry them
with us when we go to a restaurant.

 For ice cream type snacks, we have TCBY, Dairy Queen, Baskin Robbins, and
Cold Stone Creamery and I am sure that I have GF listings for them.  We went
to Coldstone Creamery awhile back and they used the clean stone and then
mixed my husband's ice cream treat on one of those cake circles that you
find under a bakery made cake.  They laid it on the clean cold stone and
used a clean scoop to scoop the ice cream and just mixed it like that.  It
worked out great!

There is a new Marble Slab Creamery at Branson Landings that has sent some
GF info. We have not been there yet, though.  There is also a Ben & Jerrys
there at the Landings and the GF list of Ben & Jerrys ice cream would apply.

We now have a Culvers on Rt 248 just east of Country Mart and K Mart.  They
have an allergen brochure available at the counter when you walk in that
shows what they have that is gluten free.

I spoke with one of the chefs at Big Cedar Lodge recently.  He works at the
Devils Pool Restaurant and also the Worman Steakhouse and he said that they
are very allergy conscious.  He said that if we would call ahead 2 or 3 days
and make a reservation, they would even prepare GF pasta for us.  He
explained that they are aware of cross contamination issues, etc.  I was
impressed by his knowledge.

I also spoke with the hostess at the White River Fish House on Taneycomo
outside Bass Pro at the Branson Landings and they can accomodate a gluten
free diet.  We have not eaten there yet, though.

*******
*******