From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 1995 08:53:09 -0400

I have been following the maltodextrin debate and find the following in the
Canadian Celiac Association Pocket Dictionary of Aceptability of Foods and
Food Ingredients for the Gluten-Free Diet.  MALTODEXTRIN - a hydrolyzed
carbohydrate made from corn starch ..... ALLOWED.

Now to add my two cents.  I'm sorry folks but I do not have the time or
money in feeding a family of five to question every single manufacturer that
lists this ingredient.  I have decided to trust the documentation of the CCA
in guiding me to purchase what is the safest for our family.  Maybe others
are not of this opinion or have the time/money to research every tin/package
of edibles that are purchased.  I do not purchase anything that is not
allowed by the CCA, or that has an ingredient that is not listed in my
pocket dictionary.  I will research those items if there is a 1-800 number
or if someone on this list has access to the companies 1-800 calling area,
or I will not buy that article and substitute it with something that is
known as safe.  It may mean switching brands of foods but c'est la vie.

I readily agree that something may be contaminated along the way but does
everyone test every piece of food, something may be safe but a bad batch
gets thru and thats how we get our accidental ingestions.  I do not intend
to test every piece of food that goes into my mouth or my sons, I will be as
safe as possible without turning our lives into the crusade to find gluten
in every article.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada