From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 23:50:18 -0500

I forgot to mention this baking "trick" in my post about Pam...

I got this info from a professional baker.  I took a course with him in preparation for my daughter's christening party.  I baked a 3 foot high cake with over 300 royal icing flowers on it.  Yes, I was nuts

To get an even cake, you must keep the cake pans cool in the oven.  Cakes became uneven becuse when the pans heat up the cake bakes at that level but the center doesn't bake  for another 30 to 60 min  later,  To keep the pan cool, take an old towl and cut a strip 3x as deep as pan and 2x and long.  You can also use an old flannel night gown or, in a pinch, newspaper.  Wet it, wring out excess water, fold in thirds to be as high as pan, and wrap around pan.  Secrue with straight pins or hat pins and grease pan and pour in batter.  Bake as usual.

No, it will not catch fire, no it will not drip but yes, your cake with be flat and even

HE was the one who told me to use cornstarch in place of reg flour in baking...he got that info from Julia Child in her first cookbook.  I've done that ever since.

He said that professional bakers always used Crisco, never butter