From:
AMY ROBERTS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AMY ROBERTS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:00:10 -0700

Hi all!

  I have a great GF friendly Christian camp for kids.  I sent my 11 year old newly diagnosed son for a week!  It's the camp that our church has used for years and both of my boys had been there pre-diagnosis.  I spoke with the couple in charge of the camp, Tom and Camie Treptau when they visited our church earlier in the year.  They assured me that their kitchen staff understood dietary restrictions.  So I contacted the lady in charge of the kitchen, Debbi.  They had a celiac staff member last year and are totally checked out on the GF diet!

  She e-mailed me the menu for the week that my son would be there,and then we went over it on the phone together.  One of the offerings was a soup.  I assumed that they just popped open a can, but they make it from scratch-GF!  There was a morning with french toast and it had various toppings offered like blueberries, syrup etc.  I questioned dippers being used to scoop toppings, but she told me that they use individual serving cups instead to avoid cross contamination!  She said that they have accomodated many celiacs in the past (in fact there was another child there with CD that week too) and that some choose to send along a small toaster, but for the rest, they heat things like toast individually on tinfoil in the oven.  I sent along homemade GF cookies, bread, a box of cereal (which came back unopened because he liked everything they had better!) and a few other items, but other than that, he ate everything from camp.  They used different eggs and our bread to make
 his french toast separately.  They made his dishes separately when it was a dish that did have gluten on the menu.  They asked for him to identify himself at the begining of camp and for the first few meals, but after that, they knew him and it all went great!  I clearly labeled any foods that I sent along and they kept them safely in the kitchen for his use.

  This is a wonderful Christian camp, with great leadership, counselors, horseback riding, fun activities, swimming and great times of teaching and worship. My son had a great time, and I was able to send him away for a week with no fear or aprehension.  This was his first time away since his diagnosis, but I had a sense of peace about it from the start.  It was a great experience for him and a step of faith for me!

  It is located in Northeastern Iowa.  Just visit the site for yourself!

  http://www.villagecreek.net/