Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 01:13:00 UTC

Since we're talking vitamins, I thought I'd check on my old stand-by,
One-A-Day Maximum formula multivitamins. I am sorry I did not get a name
for this contact, but since I was told they would not certify them to be
gluten-free, I didn't bother.

I called the number on the bottle (800-800-4793) and met a recording that
said it was temporarily suspended. So I tried the alternative I was given
(800-331-4536) and I spoke to a woman who pulled up the information on her
computer. She said that while they put nothing with gluten in it during the
manufacturing process, their suppliers could not certify that their
products were gluten-free.

She did say that their Garlic, Vitamin E, and Antioxidants are gluten-free,
since they are single supply items which they have more control over.

Finally, I asked that she send a message to those "above" letting them know
that, as the population ages, this currently underdiagnosed disease will be
revealed to have a much higher incidence. I suggested that they consider
changing suppliers to use only those items that are certified as
gluten-free. She seemed quite enthusiastic about passing my comments on.

Linda Blanchard
gluten-free in Midland TX   (well, mostly)