Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:39:19 -0500

Thanks to everyone who responded to post about GF lipstick.  Below is
the responses I got.

As a Beauty Consultant for Mary Kay Cosmetics I was intrigued with your
question and I have placed a phone call to our Consultant Medical
Relations department for a complete list of products from the company
which are gluten free.  Due to the highly technical nature of the
disease the company asked me to give them a few days to get me the
information.  They will most likely mail it to me.  However if you have
a doctor that you are seeing the company is more than willing to  mail
information directly to your doctor to work with them.

I am undiagnosed for Celiac and am curious for the information also.
I had contacted L'Oreal in September of 1999 to see if their "Rouge
Virtuale" lipstick contained gluten.  This was my response from Linda
Cronin of Consumer Affairs:

"Thank you for giving us the opportunity to answer your inquiry
regarding grain derivative sensitivity.

Rouge Vituale does not contain any gluten.

We understand your concern regarding the use of products that contain
grain derivatives.  Our research has determined that there is no
clinical evidence connecting topical application, to skin or scalp, of
grain derivatives to trigger these sensitivities.

As with any health-related concern, we suggest you follow the advice of
your physician.  We hope that this information is helpful.  If we can be
of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Linda Cronin, Consumer Affairs
L'Oreal, Division of Cosmair, Inc.

PO Box 98
Westfield, NJ  07091-0098
1-800-322-2036 Cosmetics/Plentitude
1-800-631-7358 Hair Products"
Lots of Cliniques, and Almay are gf
I have been using Almay Bland Lipstick with no reactions since New Years
Eve.
I use the Amway products - they are great and the lipstick is gluten
free.
Mary Kay is gf.  However I am dh too.  So I have to watch my dyes.  No
reds.  I have two or three pinks I wear.. I was in Merle Norman store
recently with my daughter and checked theirs.  Theyn the ingredients on
the display.  It has wheat germ oil! Good luck!
My dgtr. sells Mary Kay.  She checked and they said it was gluten free
Lipsticks that are gluten free are:    Oil of Olay ------ Almay
-------- Neutrogena
All Almay lipstick and makeup is G/F.
I called Cover Girl.  All their lipstick is GF.
Clinique will email you a current list of their GF lipsticks.  I use the
"different" lipsticks but not the "all day/long last" lipsticks
I have been using Revlon Colorstay Lipcolor.  It was listed as GF on a
web GF list.

I called the company last week to check which lipsticks were GF, and
they responded that they would send me a "list of ingredients".
Personally, I have looked at the ingredient lists and find them as
understandable as the Latin class I hated in high school!
I usually only wear lipstick "to Church on Sunday", but I haven't had
any negative reactions to the Revlon product.
I found out that Clinque's "Different" line of lipsticks are gf.
The rest that they make are not. That's what I use.
Look at net address http://geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa (yahoo) for list
compiled by celiacs.  Need to call manufacturer but have had no reaction
from most products.  some revlon and cover girl products shown.
It says that Cover Girl is DGf for following: all foundatins. frsh
complexin pressed powdr, extremely gentle pressd powder, contin. color
moisture enriched blush, all concelaers and eyeshadows, thicknthin
eyeliner, soft radianc eyreliner,continuous color lipsticks and
lipliners, marathon lipsticks, all nailslicks except treatments.  also
max factor  Gf are as follows- all eyeshadows,all mascaras, eyeliners,
all lipsticks except lipsilks, all foundations except powdered, all
concelaers.  revlon and oil of olay you need to call on.
>From past posts, I learned that Clinique is GF.  It's the ONLY brand I
can use without problems.  Surely there are others, but I don't know
about them.  I did not check with Clinique personally.
The only lipstick that I have had luck with is Avon.  I tried it after
reading about it in the archives.
Thanks again everyone!

Ginny Mingolla
East Brunswick, NJ