Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:20:30 -0700

Thanks to everyone that responded to my post regarding multiple
allergies. You people got me through a number of tough days and have
inspired me to take an interest in my health again. I haven't had such a
positive mindset in over a year.

I'm sending a summary in multiple parts for those interrested. Included
is ideas for each meal, snacks and general comments. You'll notice a
variety of approaches to eating around multiple allergies and
intollerances. Please note, I dont necessarily promote everything
included in this summary. The emphasis is on a whole foods diet which
means different things to different people.

Most of us are making our own food, some exclusively.
Many of us follow very particular diets, others ... dont.
Most of us have very strong feelings and ideas about what we are eating.

This last point makes me hesitant to voice my own opinion, especially
because it is just that, my opinion. I would just like to urge everyone
with multiple intollerances to realize how crucial a balanced diet is
for those of us who go without so many common foods. Years and years of
any extreme diet - healthy or not - is going to affect our long term
health. From personal experience I cannot encourage diets that exclude
protien, carbohydrate or fat for years and years and years. I strongly
believe in balance and moderation and, sure, periods of 'system
cleanising' or restricting when weight loss is necessary. But, please,
be diplomatic and consider the fact that some diets beneficial to those
without pre-imposed restrictions may be detrimental to those of us who
are already so limited. Be objective, thats the real point I'm trying to
make.

Stepping down from the soapbox,
Megan in Seattle

****

BREAKFAST

cold or hot brown rice cereal
with fruit and soy or rice milk

plain toast or toast with jelly and coffee with Lactaid.
Sometimes I include a banana and/or diluted orange juice
(citrus is rough on my system so I dilute with water
and always drink with food).

I make my own granola, have gf dairy free waffles,
make my own pancakes and use water or almond milk
instead of milk.

a grapefuit half and a bowl of cereal (rice cereal in the
summer, and buckwheat in the winter) with a banana in it.

Van's waffles are dairy free, and I think egg free.
I eat those often. With maple syrup.

I make my own blueberry muffins I make an applesauce muffin
that I eat for breakfast with natural peanut butter
and my own fruit butter (mostly apple).

red cornmeal bread with goat milk, barley coffee

Kinnikinick bagel or doughnut or
homemade rice/tapioca roll + jam.

ham and eggs

Rice or corn crunchem's from nature valley with fresh fruit
and 1/2 cup of yogurt or White corn meal hot cerial
with brown sugar

rice cakes, coffee

bacon and potatoes on occassion

LUNCH

sandwich (gf bread - btw, I use Ener-g Tapioca/toasted)
consisting of Boars Head Brand deli meats, i.e., turkey,
ham. any meat (beef, chicken, turkey), baked potatoes,
roasted potatoes, rice or gf pasta and a cooked vegetable,
i.e., carrots, spinach, green beans, etc.

Either tuna salad or plain tuna with a sweet potato.
I was addingn pineapple and cranberry sauce (home made)
on the sweet potatoes.  But this summer I found some mayo
and pickles with no corn syrup, so I make tuna salad with that.
I have   tomoatoes, cantelope, watermelon, etc.  to go with it.

2-3 oz. of leftover meat, 1/2 -1 c vegetables (what I have on hand,
often frozen peas), lettuce mixture and a couple of black olives (that
serve as dressing).

I prepare a big pot of soup (veg. beef with rice or
rice noodles) once a week & freeze it.

Plain rice cake with Carl Budding's Lunch meat and
a salad or soup with gf crackers

Corn tortillas with all the normal toppings make great lunches.

Costco carries a terrific hotdog that is gluten free called
Grimm's European wieners and I make my own hot and ham buns

big green salad with tomato, cucumber, red or green onion,
can of tuna or shredded chicken, homemeade dressing, avocado or olives

SNACKS, CONDIMENTS, ETC

soy chips and rice cakes

DariFree milk

I make my own salad dressing

raisins

Woodchuck Ciders

homemade raisin cookies, and use EnerG egg substitute

rice pudding.  We use honey to sweeten it,
and we use brown rice.

lactose free cottage cheese from NY state

I make yoghurt which is fermented for 24 hours and
all the lactose is consumed.

Fruit salads - Some GF honey, a little lemon juice,
a dash of cinnamon make these a treat
Maybe top with cool whip

Nestle choc. chips or Shelly Senbei rice crackers
from the Asian store or Edy's French Silk ice cream

chocolate (Dove's Dark), rice crackers,
peanut butter, and nuts

put honey and cinnamon on toasted bread

popsicles-Welches or one of the frozen fruit juice bars

rice cakes - plain, with avocado and tomato

corn chips (safe), salsa, guacomole

I use coconut milk a lot, mix a little honey with it and pour over fresh
berries, awesome.  I do use coconut milk in place of milk for a tapioca
pudding, if I need some comfort food, mixing in pineapple, or just
vanilla.  It doesn't need eggs.  I also mix melted dark chocolate,
honey, a little coconut milk, coconut, dried fruits, then spoon it out
into mounds, then stick it in the freezer.  Mom also makes old fashioned
fudge just using the coconut milk and not the butter.  We also both got
little ice cream freezers and make ice cream using the coconut milk, or
fruit ices with sugar.  Recipes are included with the freezer.  Anyway,
that keeps us having some sweets so we do not feel totally deprived.

DINNER

brown rice pasta and veggies with olive oil,
herbs and spices

broiled meat, plain baked potato and steamed veggies
along with salad with olive oil only

veggies & chicken in tomato sauce, olive oil, balsamic and
other safe sauces

meat, salads or fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, rice or potato

chicken breasts, grilled on my George Foreman grill,
and a baked potato with saute''d mushrooms, onions, peppers.

We eat a lot of steak at home (I try to avoid ground beef
because of the chance of added soy protein), and some
chicken and pork (checking to see that they have no
"broth" added for flavor.)

Ball Park Franks wrapped in a corn tortilla are
a quick meal here, with Wise potato chips in the blue bag!

I fix potatoes, fresh veggies and salads.

shiskabob with chicken breast and Vidalia onions,
marinated with Annie's GF Tuscany Italian dressing,
homemade GF coleslaw, homemade carrot salad with
raisins and pineapple in it

stir-fry without the soy sauce -
Try one of the Annie's GF dressings with ingredients
you can tolerate (at health food stores) to stir-fry it in.

broiled salmon with lemon juice

Food for Life brown rice elbows is the best pasta I've
tried - just add some olive oil, crush some dried oregano,
a touch of pepper, a dash of salt, or any other
way you want to season it.

Azteca tortillas, fry them in a little oil in the wok,
and top them with beans or refried GF beans, shredded lettuce,
green onions or vidalia onions, GF black olives.
If you can tolerate casein (milk protein), you can buy
Rice Slices (imitation cheese), or you might want to buy
Almond Slice (check ingredients) or otherwise
soy and lactose -free, and top them with this.

frozen GF pizza crust and top it with veggies
and some imitation of cheese

grilled "cheese" sandwiches on brown rice toast,
stir-fry dishes, large salads, fish, shishkabob,
tostadas, tuna salad, coleslaw, carrot salad,
salmon salad, and salmon patties at my house

meat (never anything processed), salad, vegetable.

pizza - it ends up being more like a focacia
since it has no cheese or tomato or green pepper

hamburgers, especially during the summer
when I can grill them outside.  Without summer
tomatoes they miss a little, and I must make my
own mustard (with rice vingear) - no pickles,
I haven't mastered canning them with rice vinegar.

bbq hamburgers( with my own homemade gf sauce),
wheatfree burger buns and gf potato chips.
I also eat a lot of rice noodles, rice of all kinds,
potatoes cooked in all different ways and microwaved
beef, lamb, turkey patties.

Guacamole tostadas - with or without strips of grilled
meat on top.  I.E. top corn tortillas (fried flat)
with homemade or GF ready-made guacamole, lettuce,
tomatoes, green onions, GF black olives, maybe a cheese
substitute, and strips of poulty or meat
(marinating in GF Annie's dressing is good)

Rice pasta (Food for Life elbows) with homemade
(or GF commercial) sphagetti sauce,
or with olive oil and crushed spices

Salads - including main course salads, topped with
sliced, freshly roasted turkey breast (never frozen,
such as Rosebud Farms) and with GF dressing, shredded
carrots, alfalfa sprouts, or use olive oil and lemon
juice for dressing.

Serving GF greek olives on the side is nice, too.

spaghetti (rice noodles + Ragu + beef), hamburgers,
bbq chicken, grilled chicken salad

a dish my Phillipino husband makes that has beef,
Bok Choy, potatoes, tomatoes, & fish sauce (yum!)

pizza - try it by taking two soft corn tortilla shells
find some lactose free cheese (yuk but better than none)
fry the shells in 1/4" of olive oil top with hormel
pepperoni says gluten free on lable and a lite sauce
(tomato, garlic, oregano, parsley, rosmarie, and salt)
small amount of fake cheese on top  this is simple and purty
good - options to it are no sauce just olive oil and garlic

1. stir fried ham, potatoes, carrots, onions
and maybe a few black olives.

2. grilled salmon with garlic mashed potatoes served on a bed of baby
spinach. for the gravy for the potatoes I saute onions and mushrooms,
add heavy cream and reduce it to gravy consistency.  If I had to do it
dairy-free, I would use chickpea flour.

3. stuffed tomatoes with spinach;
stuffing last night was tuna fish with chopped onions and
a bit of olive oil.  Pickling cukes if their available.

4. grilled salmon served on a bed of basmati rice,
which was cooked with onions, peppers and whatever else

chicken & veg cooked in foil packets on the grill.
Stir fry, spaghetti made with gf noodles & sauce.
Hot dogs (ball park turkey) on gf bread, baked beans, (
bushes vegetarian), macaroni salad made with gf pasta.
I have made a goulash using gf pasta.

rice 'salad' - example - leftover rice, chicken, cooked green vegetable
            (asparagus, broccoli, green beans) onion, olives
      - or - tomato, chicken, green onion, avocado and salsa on top
           - have the whole thing over lettuce
           - shred lettuce, black olives on top and serve with
             warmed corn tortilla

paella, fish or chicken, green vegetable, parsley and
green onion in tomato sauce. Serve it on rice.

grilled, baked, broiled fish, vegetable and potatoes

Chicken and Rice:
Cut up 6 half breasts of chicken, brown and remove from pan.
Saute onions and bell peppers until softened. Add can of drained
& diced tomatoes, garlic, paprika, and  saffron or turmeric.
Cook for a minute or two. Add 3 cups short grain (Arborio)
rice and cook about 3 minutes. Add 6c chicken broth and simmer
for 7 minutes. Transfer mixture to an oven proof dish,
add chicken, bake at 325, 15 minutes. Scatter some frozen peas
on top and bake 5 to 10 minutes more - until liquid is absorbed
and rice is done. Sprinkle with parsley or mix in some cilantro.

salade nisciose - greens with tuna or salmon on top.

Tomato wedges, green beans, boiled red potatoes and niscios
or other black olives. Homemade vinagrette.
hard boied egg is traditional but I go without.

Potatoes to break the monotony:
Cut up about 6 potatoes. Use a large roasting pan, potatoes
in a single layer or they'll get mushy. Add 1 cup water,
1/2c olive oil, 1/2c fresh lemon juice, Tbl dried oregano,
salt, and pepper. Bake at 500 for 50 minutes or till well browned
and crunchy. Turn over, halfway through and add more liquid
if they start to burn. These are incredible.

GENERAL COMMENTS

I have been on this diet over 25 years.

from my own experience, I think sometimes we who must deal
with food issues tend to focus too much on what we can't
have and how difficult eating is.  I've learned there
is more in life to enjoy, and if we continue to dwell on
these difficulties, we may just miss the "good" in our lives.

Well, look at it this way - it's healthier to eat whole food
(unprocessed meats and fresh fruits and vegetables) and you don't have
much of a choice. Maybe you could find something else to fill up your
time like exercise (yuck) or crafts.

eat small amounts every 2 - 4 hours

I eat almost the same thing daily

There is joy in eating if you focus on the stuff you can eat

Never any candy, snacks, cookies, soda beverages, alcoholic
drinks, chocolate, fried things....and for the most part
I don't crave them any longer.  I have been eating like
this for almost 4 years now.

I no longer eat from a can or frozen dinners.
All has to be prepared fresh, organic food
items-lots are special ordered

sorghum flour with cornstarch 3:1 and it
substitutes for wheat flour 1:1

make a new list of foods I COULD eat

finding those treats, makes eating meat,
potatoes, salads, and vegetables enjoyable

I just keep telling myself that I do not live to eat
I eat to live.

You can retrain your body to accept these foods by rotating
diets once your intestines have healed.

Using what I can eat in unusual ways seems to be the key.

My sister is the same way only she is allergic to chicken and
turkey but can have red meat.  She has chosen to go on a
mostly soup diet (homemade of course).

If you have Celiac Disease , and this was your primary problem,
you would have become allergic to all those things because of
the resultant intestinal damage that occurred because of the CD.

I am now treating with a Chinese doctor (started yesterday),
who prescribes herbs and acupuncture to help me deal
with my food allergies.

Right now I don't eat any grain whatsoever

People dealing with multiple food allergies
http://www.yahoogroups.com/

BREAKING THE VISCIOUS CYCLE by Elaine Gottschall
http://www.scdiet.org/
http://www.scdiet.com/

"Food Allergy Cure" by Dr. Ellen Cutler - system called BIOSET

The Gluten-Free Kitchen

Bette Hagman's more from the Gluten Gourmet
is my favorite cookbook.

Yemenite Cooking