From:
Mireille Cote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:48:12 -0400

Here are the responses I had.  Think I dont need to be anxious.  Will have
plenty to eat.

One wrote me only to lell me Alsace and Lorraine weren't towns but
regions.  That I know, and you too probably.  With "there two towns", I was
meaning Brussels and Strasbourg without saying.

You will be in heaven....go to the Refourmhaus or local health food
stores...they have shelves full of gluten free food.

Was just there. There were a lot of health food stores everywhere.  I can't
vouch for gluten free breads, but from what I understand, gluten free
products are found there as well as in drug stores in Europe, unlike in the
USA.  Their drug atores are huge and are crossovers into specialty, health-
related grocery stores.

I have just come back from France and Belgium. Alas I can't answer your
question about shops as I didn't try, having stocked up in Germany.
However, as a gluten free snack I can recommend the 'moules frites' which
the Belgians seem to love. They come in a big pot with their cooking liquid
and with a plate of french fries and a dipping sauce. Forget about the
sauce, but the rest of it is just fine, if you like mussels that is. I
found out about a place to buy GF food where I was going in Germany by
writing to the tourist office in that city via a web site link and they
gave me 3 addresses. I was in Freiburg which is over the border in Germany
from Alsace-Lorraine. Let me know if you're interested in having the
address of that place and I'll pass it on.

In Dr Schar's website, www.schaer.com, you can find all places and all
stores where their products are avaliable. Also, you could send a fax to
the French Coliac Association: +33156080842 and ask for suggestions.

Thanks to all,
Mireille, Waterloo, Quebec.