From:
IK+LJplant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 12:36:45 +1200

For your information, here are more replies I received on Migraines. I'm
surprised at the wealth of knowledge out there and am looking forward to
dumping copies of all of the replies I get on my doctors desk for his
info!

Cheers, Lorraine
Auckland, New Zealand

 --------------------------------

From: charlie white <[log in to unmask]>

My wife suffered really severe headaches when the celiac "came back" on her
about age 50.  Since going gluten-free, the headaches diminished and all but
disappeared.  When she gets them now, she knows it is because she has eaten
something, gluten or otherwise.  Keep a food and symptom log.  You may be
getting hidden gluten, or you may be sensitive to other foods because of past
impact of gluten on your system

 --------------------------------

From: Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>

Lorraine, you asked Can anyone recommend any sites for Medical Practitioners
to download information from??  I gather you found my link page at:
  The Gluten-Free Page:        http://www.GFlinks.com/
Then all my pages are listed here: http://www.gluten-free.org/

From my link page these are the best for medical practitioners:

"http://www.mayohealth.org/mayo/9810/htm/celiac.htm"
Celiac Disease - When food becomes the enemy  is an article put up by
the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.

American Family Physician magazine has an article
"http://www.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html" Detecting Celiac Disease
in Your Patients by Harold T. Pruessner, MD also see
"http://www.aafp.org/patientinfo/celiac.html" patient handout  on celiac
disease.

---------------------

From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]

Very interesting connection.  Here are a few excellent web sites for you New
Zealanders from New Haven, Connecticut:

CSA/USA Organization - [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask] -( been there this is
great - Lorraine)

Celiac Disease Foundation - http://www.primenet.com/cdf/

Celiac Support Page - http://www.celiac.com

GF Page - http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/

National Digestive Disease Clearninghouse
http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/celiac/index.htm

Columbia University Medical Center
http://cpcnet.columbia.edu/dept/gi/celiac/ntml

Linda's Wheat Free Forum - http://www.nowheat.com/test/nowheat/index.htm

Clan Thompson - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/clanthompson

GF Diet info - http://www.wwwebguies.com/nutrition/diets/glutenfree/

Stokes Pharmacy -http://www.stokesrx.com

Abigail's - http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4001

There is also a support group in Australia that you should get in touch with
to help you start your own support group in New Zealand.  I am sure you can
find their address on http://www.celiac.com.

Good luck
Jane Trevett  - thanks for your comments Jane - Here in NZ we do talk to
the Aust.group - Lorraine

--------------------

From: [log in to unmask]

I don't know for a fact about a specific connection between migraines
and celiac. It seems to be medically accepted that there are food
triggers for migraines, such as aged cheese, red wine, coffee,
chocolate, and that these can change over time for a given individual. I
used to get migraines from  coffee, but no more. Don't know why.

I take a medication that increases seratonin in the blood and one side
effect is it tends to increase migraine frequency, but it's possible to
adjust and regain your previous level of migraine frequency. That's what
happened with me. It's interesting, though, with all the talk of a link
between seratonin and celiac. Maybe we experience more dramatic
fluctuations of seratonin as our guts vary in efficiency.

Maybe gluten can be a trigger for migraine. Sorry I don't know of a
website.  The food link mechanism might help sort it out, though. How
long have you been gf? Perhaps your migraines will settle down as your
guts do, which can take months and apparently even years, depending on
how much damage occurred.

Good luck!  By the way, I take 5mg a day of Atenolol to prevent migraines.
It made a world of difference for me.  It's a blood pressure medication,
although I have normal blood pressure.  Mine was quite low before I went gf a
year ago.  It came up to normal several months after I went gf.  Don't know
if there is a causal relationship there, it's just a change I noticed by
chance.

Judith in CA

-------------------

From: Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>

This piece was missed from the prior e-mail.

You wrote:
Are migraines considered a symptom of Celiac Disease?

Headaches have been implicated with gluten consumption, and also
possibly with corn/maize.

(1) In a Canadian survey of symptoms among those intolerant to gluten,
21.3% listed headaches or migraines as a symptom.

(2) In a study in Iceland, where they found 7.5% of those studied having
high anti-gliadin antibodies, persistent or recurrent headaches were
more common in the gliadin antibody positive group.

(3) Dr. Lloyd Rosenvold in _Can a Gluten-Free Diet Help?_ also
recommends a gluten-free diet for migraines.

(4) There are lots of studies out there that indicate that gluten can
cause vascular abnormalities in the brain.

(5) And then lots and lots of anecdotal reports have been posted to the
gluten-free mailing list.