From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:33:27 -0400

Hi, list --

Thank you for the many, many replies. I do not have time right now to
summarize, but want to post this now to let you all know that you all have
proved once again what a responsive and helpful bunch of folks you are.

I fear my title line was misleading -- I named the post "thickening agent
for gravies," though in the message itself, I asked about substitutes for
the GRADUAL thickening action of flour during a long simmer of meat in a
lot of liquid. Perhaps the responders who mentioned sweet rice flour or
plain rice flour were answering that question.

I do apologize for confusing things with my naming line.

Nearly everyone who answered offered ideas for thicking gravy at the end of
cooking. Arrowroot and corn starch, as well as various kinds of roux work
nicely, but in my experience they won't hold up during a long simmer--and
of course, the texture and mouth feel are not the same as a flour-thickened
long-simmered stew.

Thank you again, everyone, for being such nice and supportive people.

Thanks again -

mary B
NYC