From:
Chris Woodcock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 08:16:41 EST

I was surprised to get so many responses to my comment/question on Maple
Syrup.

First - I'd like to apoligize if anyone took my posting as an attack on anyone
on this list (one person suggested this in a very nicely worded note to me).
It was not intended that way, only as an expression of my concern that how we
word postings can sometimes be confusing or raise unneeded concerns.

To the point:
This ONLY deals with PURE MAPLE SYRUP - the fake stuff (which I will not touch
when I can get the real thing) rarely has any content that has been within 50
feet of a maple tree.  I think of these as Breakfast Syrup or Corn Syrup, not
Maple Syrup.  It may or may not be GF - I simply don't know.  Check these for
yourself.

One person indicated that they knew of cream or lard that could be added
("Because the traditional way of boiling the sap includes the addition of
lard or more recently cream, to calm the bubbles, this could unknowlingly
affect those celiacs who are also:  lactose intolerant and/or vegetarians.
It also affects those who keep or follow kosher guidelines, or try to only
eat foods that are hallel.")  Note NO suggestion of gluten in this remark.

Most others expressed surprise at this and several from maple syruping areas
stated that nothing but pure maple syrup is in "pure" maple syrup.  This is my
experience in the northeast part of the US and Ontario.  As I recall adding
anything else may be a crime in some states or provinces if it is labeled
"pure".  However, I also know that this is a process that is often done in
backyards by many individuals or small shops, so who knows what they may add.
For those that are extremely sensitive or concerned, it may be worth
purchasing syrup directly from the place where it is made so you can check
with the "manufacturer" yourself.

In summary, NO ONE WHO RESPONDED SUGGESTED THAT THERE WAS GLUTEN IN PURE MAPLE
SYRUP.  I know I have no problem with Pure Maple Syrup - it is one of natures
greatest foods!

One person also asked about chicken legs (which was mentioned in the original
post) - I have no reason to believe that chicken legs are anything but chicken
legs, but .... as the note at the top of all posts to this list states
"Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation."

Chris Woodcock
Wayland MA