From:
"N. Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 16:58:12 -0600

I am not Jewish, so I'm certainly not an authority on what's kosher and
what isn't.  I agree that most Jews' definitions of chometz and kosher
for passover are not synonymous with "gluten free."  However, the authors
of the Kollel guide specifically say that "any foods that
contain ingredients derived from any of the following grains:  wheat,
barley, oats, rye, or spelt involve Passover Kashrus issues.  WHile year
round Kashrus requirements do not preclude ownership, Passover Kashrus
prohibits ownership of any of these foodstuffs...Passover Kashrus
prohibits deriving any benefit from the chometz...the only foods that may
be considered chometz are those that contain one of the five grains
mentioned above."  There is a later paragraph on grain alcohol that,
again, indicates standards parallel with ours.

A Jewish friend has described this particular group as "putting a ring
around the Torah," implying, as you and I have both suggested, that they
have atypical standards for what is and isn't chometz.  I hope you and
others who are familiar with rabbinical writing will be able to take a
look at this booklet and give the rest of us your opinions on its
usefulness to celiacs.  Nancy Jackson