From:
"Stewart Gerri (Personnel Services)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 08:05:00 -0400

My 26 year old son has CD and appears to have developed a hiatal hernia.
It hasn't been diagnosed by a doctor but all the classic symptoms are
there.  He was doing really well on the GF diet (gaining back some
weight, feeling much better, etc.) then about 2 weeks ago starting
experiencing severe heartburn and pain in his chest on the left side.
I've done research on the internet, and this appears to be a hiatal
hernia.  He has just about quit eating and has lost all the weight he
had gained.  He's tried the digestive enzyme thing, with no improvement,
so he has given up on that.  Now he's just taking Zantac and trying to
get an appointment with his GI doctor.  He called and explained the
problem to the doctor's staff and was given an appointment at the end of
April.  (How sick do you have to be to get a quick appointment with a
doctor these days?!)  Anyway, sorry for rambling, does anyone have
experience with CD and histal hernia?  Is it a fairly common problem
with celiac patients?  What can be done for the problem?  or is it
possibly something else?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  He is
so discouraged that he's about ready to give up!  Any encouragement you
could pass along would really help!  Thanks!  P.S.--if someone in one of
the local CD groups could contact me, I would love to get him involved
in a good support group.

Gerri Stewart
Fairfax, VA