From:
silvrfox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 02:35:35 -0700

> In article <[log in to unmask]>, marvin druker
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if the synthetic vanillin is gf?  The organic
> > Vanillin which is on outer pod of the vanilla bean, I'm told, is gf
> > but what about the test tube stuff.

___________________

(Disclaimer... I am not a Chemist, and source is quoted below)

 Vanillin doesn't contain Gluten, at least not in my references.
__________
 The following information taken from:
   "A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives" updated 4th Ed.
   By Ruth Winter, M.S.  Copyright date 1994
   Published by Crown Trade Paperbacks

   "Vanillin is made synthetically from eugenol (from clove oil) and also
from waste of the wood pulp industry. One part vanillin equals four
hundred parts vanilla pods.  It can be a skin irritant that produces a
burning sensation and exema. Lethal dose in laboratory mice is 3 grams (30
grams per ounce) per kg of body weight. The FDA rates this as Generally
Regarded As Safe (GRAS), and Priority-based Assessment of Food Additives
(PAFA) has fully up to date toxicology information on this additive."

   "Eugenol also occurs naturally in allspice, basil, bay leaves, calamus,
pimento, and laurel leaves. It is a synthetic fruit, nut and spice
flavoring used in beverages, ice cream, ices, candy, baked goods, chewing
gum, gelatin desserts, meats (2,000ppm), and condiments.  Eugenol also
acts as a local antiseptic.  When ingested, may cause vomiting and gastric
irritation. Because of its potential as an allergen, it is left out of
hypoallergenic cosmetics. Toxicity is similar to phenol, which is highly
toxic.  Death in laboratory animals given eugenol is due to vascular
collapse.  The FDA rates this as Generally Regarded As Safe (GRAS), and
Priority-based Assessment of Food Additives (PAFA) has fully up to date
toxicology information on this
additive."
Marilyn K. Deacon
Phoenix, AZ  USA