From:
Julie Bauknight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:07:52 -0500

It has taken me quite a while to get to this summary and there is
definitely nothing conclusive to report.  My original post was regarding
my 5 year old daughter that develops some problems after each time she
swims.  I had wondered if she was ingesting gluten in the pool water
from other people's sunscreens.  I have been paying careful attention to
her each time to see if I could narrow some factors down.  Several
people responded wondering if she were wearing a GF sunscreen, and yes
she is.  I also have noticed that the longer she stays in the pool, the
bigger the problem.  Specifically, she experiences cramping ( the best I
can tell from a 5 year old) and mild diarrhea.  If the swims for under 2
hours, she just feels kind of puny and complains of a stomach ache.
Although many responded with disbelief that this could happen, there are
a few that have the same experiences.  So hear are some replies that I
got:

   * One said that gluten is not water soluble and and if were floating
     in the water, the particles would be minute  and how much water
     could my child be drinking to make it add up

   * One asked her child's dr. who said that some may react, some may
     not, just to watch and see.

   * One adult said she felt ill based on the chlorine levels.  If the
     pool had just been shocked, that made her feel worse.

   * One worried about the pool chemicals and said that none state they
     are gf

   * One has a 5 year old fish that has no problems

   * One questioned chlorine having gluten

   * One has a 6 year old that becomes violently ill with intestinal
     problems everytime she swims

   * A 3 year old with the same trouble as my child

   * Another thought of the possibility of pools that allow food around
     and the crumbs of the food coming off of kids hands, mouths, etc..

   * One with no problems swimming and stated that chlorine is designed
     to break up organic chemicals

Definitely nothing conclusive.  The best I can do is limit pool time
until I find a more conclusive link.  Thanks to all those that responded
in a kind and helpful way!!  Believe it or not, I had a few that were
quite rude in their responses - something I found disappointing.