From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 16:22:55 -0400

Thanks all.  I received responses in a number of categories.
HIGHER BP MAY BE CAUSED BY WEIGHT GAIN
I too gained weight when diagnosed, and it was really hard to drop the extra 10.  I kept 10 that I needed.  My bloodpressure is still great.  Yesterday it was 108/70.  It used to be about 120/80 before celiac.  Activity helps..... I hate to say it, but you might need to get a few of those pounds off.

-------------------------
SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME
Same thing happened to me.  Before going GF I was always around 120/72.  Now I'm consistently at around 138/85.  When I went GF, I was told to watch my blood pressure and cholesteral because now my body is actually processing everything I eat.
-----------
I have always had hypertension, but after going GF about 6 years ago, I have noticed that my blood pressure has gone up even higher   146/85. I don't know if there is a connection between the two.
------------
I too gained weight, about 60 pounds in my case.  My blood pressure got very high after a life time of low blood pressure.
-----------
My story is almost exactly the same as yours. Same weight gain, virtually the same BP numbers, same time frame after going GF. I got mine back down for a while with exercise and sodium control
----------
Mine changed just like yours, except I didn't gain any weight.  I went from always normal 120/80 or less to borderline hypertension, to now being on bp medication for high bp
-----------
Went GF 1 1/2 yrs. ago and suddenly a year ago, my blood pressure was climbing.  It's about 140/80 or so.  It used to be about 110/60.  I also have gained weight (about 30 lbs.) since going GF.
-----------
My BP went from 88/58 to 112/70.  Mine was always low before going GF.  If you have a family predisposition to High BP, you are much more likely to have your BP and/or Cholesterol go up.
HIGHER BP MAY BE CAUSED BY GF FOOD
What I discovered is that most of the gluten-free foods are made with high glycemic ingredients such as rice flour, potato flour, and tapioca flour.  It appears to be the spike in blood sugar causing a fast release of insulin that impacts the rigidity of the blood vessels and impacts blood pressure and presents a high risk of cardiac problems.  I've been on a low-glycemic gluten-free diet for the past year and my blood pressure is back to normal and my weight is coming off too.  I now eat mostly nut flours, veggies, fruits and meat.
You might want to try Authentic Foods Pancake & Baking Mix and add it to your diet.  It has garfava flour which is made of garbanzo and fava beans.  The beans, I believe, helped lower my blood pressure.
I wonder if you are trying to replace all the gluten-full products that you used to eat with gluten-free products (like gf pizza, gf cookies, gf pasta, etc.) We've been strictly GF for 3 years and found that over time we don't actually need as much gf carbs as we used to.  We are now eating more meats, fish, veggies and fruit, and very little grains (at most one small serving with one meal per day). We also pretty much stopped eating cane sugar
THERE ARE A LOT OF FACTORS THAT COULD BE CAUSING IT

When you start eating GF, your absorbtion increases, but your eating habits and metabolism stay more or less the same.  Hence, weight gain.  Also, the balance of nutrients (trace minerals especially) that you are absorbing changes.  The balance of trace minerals has ALOT to do with blood pressure.  Retaining water can cause high blood pressure.  Cutting back on your water intake is NOT the way to treat this.  Drink lots of water, so your body doesn't feel the need to "save what it can get".  Avoid salt.