From:
V. Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:15:17 -0500

Thanks to everyone who responded with names of
brands they know are gluten-free.

Unfortunately, I also had a couple of sarcastic put-down
type responses.  People who have nothing better to do
don't belong on this email list.  This lists exists for Celiacs
to answer each others questions and save each other time
and trouble.

For example, a response from Tom and Jane (no last name
given), email [log in to unmask], said, and I quote, "Why do you
care? Are you going to eat it?"

How sad that people with this attitude bother those of us trying
to get a legitimate response with their nonsense!  If you have
ever loaded a dishwasher, you know that how you load it and
how much you put in it determines how well the dishes are
washed - with the detergent - and how well they are rinsed to
get the detergent and dirt off.

It makes about as much sense to wash them with a gluten-containing
detergent as it makes to eat "just a little bit" of gluten...There is no
guarantee all the detergent will be rinsed off every dish, and some of
us are sensitive to gluten to the point of molecules.

The reponses indicated Cascade is OK, and I confirmed it is GF
with the manufacturer (Cascade powder).  Dr. Bronner's castile soap
was suggested.  I haven't checked if this is GF.  Lindsay Amadeo
provided a list of various cleaners, including Palmolive dishwasher
detergent (inquiry dated March 2000) as GF.

As far as checking with every manufacturer myself, sure, I could do
that - we all could.  A few natural products don't have a web page
or phone number on the containers (or on the Internet), and if you work
full-time, you won't be calling these companies up during business
hours.

If there is no Web page or you don't have time or a fax machine, you
would need to write them and wait weeks for a reply.

So to those of us who condemn our asking questions or answer with
sarcastic replies, please unsubscribe and take your devil's advocate
attitudes elsewhere....or go eat all the gluten you please.

To the rest of you, thank you.  Your help is appreciated.  I can't take
chances.

Vicki E. Jones