Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:17:58 -0700

Earlier I wrote: >> All it takes to become lactose intolerant is to abstain
from milk for a while. If the villi don't make lactase for a period of time
they lose the ability to do so. This ability can often be gotten back if
they are willing to put up with a lot of discomfort for a month or two.<<

A kindly fellow member pointed out to me that this is very misleading, and
I agree with her. I definitely did not mean that celiacs who are lactose
intolerant might "get over" it by putting up with a month or two of
discomfort. No.

I intended this to mean only that those who become lactose intolerant for
no reason other than that they haven't been drinking milk for a long period
of time can usually get over it by putting up with a month or two of
discomfort while the villi relearn to produce the lactase necessary to
digest the lactose. So long as the lactose intolerance is not due to
anything else, and they are not old raisins like I am :) Older people
sometimes become lactose intolerant because they're old, even if they've
been drinking milk regularly. -vance