From:
Todd Zerin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Todd Zerin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:22:36 -0500

Hi All -

I just returned from taking my 15 year-old son to the allergist.  My son
has been treating for allergies with injections and the strength is now
being increased.  My son seems to have a constant slight to moderate nasal
congestion causing him to sniff frequently.  This nasal congestion and
sniffing reminds me of how I was at that age.  I was a mouth-breather, and
did not ever experience clear nasal passages until I went GF nearly 2 years
ago.

I mentioned to the allergist that I experienced dramatic improvement in my
allergies and breathing that coincided with exclusion of gluten from my
diet.  The allergist said that such exclusion had nothing to do with my
improvement, that my intolerance is in the "G Class" of allergies, and t
he
explanation for my improvement is simply that I outgrew my allergies (I am
now 43).  Further, he indicated that gluten might "affect my digestive
system", but really not much more.  (My own experience here differs, in
that I had a host of neurological problems as well as digestive, that have
much improved w/ GF diet).

I know that I have read posts mentioning improvement of runny noses where
the poster associates such improvement with elimination of gluten intake.

I am looking for feedback from persons who suffer or suffered from general
allergies.  Am interested in hearing from all sufferers, regardless of
whether improvement was noted.  Of course would also like those who
experienced improvement to indicate any perceived correlation to dietary
changes (included but not limited to gluten).  Also, if there are any
physicians out there with knowledge in this area, your input would be most