From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2012 20:38:41 -0400

I found this recipe in a local (Philadelphia/South Jersey area) Jewish newspaper, the Jewish Exponent.  For some unknown reason, they seem to carry a lot of recipes that are inherently gluten-free.

I made this tonight...freezing single quantities, to defrost later for Rosh Hashanah and the eve before Yom Kippur.

Brisket in Wine Sauce
Preheat oven to 325 degrees

One 2 1 / 2 lb beef brisket. Thick cut.  (Mine was slightly over 3 lbs.)
1 tbsp paprika
1 / 2 tsp basil  (I crushed a few fresh leaves)
1 tsp salt (I used less)
1 tsp. pepper (I used more)
3 medium or 2 large onions, sliced
2 cloves peeled, halved, (shmushed) garlic---or a generous sprinkle of dried garlic
1 and 1 / 2 cups ketchup  (tomato paste or tomato sauce would work)
1 and 1 / 2 cups dry red wine  (I used more)
1 and 1 / 2 cups water (I used more)

Rinse brisket.  Place in roasting pan.  Rub paprika, basil, salt and pepper on meat.  Scatter onions and garlic on meat.  In a medium bowl, combine ketchup, wine and water. Pour over meat.  Cover pan tightly with a lid or foil.  Tent the foil, so it doesn't touch the meat.

Recipe says to bake for about 3 hours or until tender or meat thermometer reads 190 degrees.  (I made two roasts tonight.  I shut the oven off after three hours and let them sit for maybe 20 minutes more.   But my roasts were both frozen solid when I started, and they were done in 3 hours anyway...and very tender, but not falling apart.  I baked them on 325 degrees, in a convection roast setting, which heats more thoroughly.  I'm too lazy to defrost briskets.  Make sure you don't overcook yours if they are thawed or thin cut.)

Let stand about 10 minutes before slicing diagonally against the grain.  Serve warm.  Use juices as the gravy.

The recipe says that a 2 1/ 2 lb roast serves 8.  When I slice and freeze roasts, I use a scale, and I got five portions of about 6-7 oz each, out of a roast that was a little bigger than 3 lbs.  So that's five very generous portions, definitely could be six.  But I don't think it will fit 8 unless you're into portion control.  (Depends upon your guests.)  The roasts do shrink in cooking.  I poured the gravy juices into each plastic container, over the meat.

When I make brisket, I usually use tomato sauce, not ketchup.  This is the first time I used wine.  Typically, I peel and slice potatoes in large chunks and add them to the meat about an hour before done, but this time, I'm making the potatoes separately.

*******
*******