From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:50:08 EST

                         Newsletter Roundup
                         ------------------
                        compiled by Jim Lyles

This section contains articles and excerpts from newsletters produced
by other celiac groups.

:                                            :
:       Excerpts from _CDF Newsletter_       :
:       ------------------------------       :
: Winter 2000      Elaine Monarch, publisher :
:                  Celiac Disease Foundation :
:               13251 Ventura Blvd., Suite 1 :
:                Studio City, CA  91604-1838 :
:............................................:

Living Without--Not!
--------------------
by Karen Davis, the Gluten-Free Guru-illa

All right, I admit it.  I'm proudly gluten-free, for life.  And the
next time that I hear someone whine about how tough this diet
is--well, let's just say that it won't be pretty.

I've been gluten-free for a long time--over a decade.  And the things
that I live without now more than make up for the minor
"inconvenience" of living gluten-free.  What do I live without?
Severe, "untreatable" anemia (living in southern California I no
longer need lined wool pants and heavy sweaters in summer's 100 degree
weather.)  Arthritis (at 28, I couldn't climb a flight of stairs or
walk around a block; now at "39" and holding, I work out at the "Y" 4
days a week.)  Persistent "tummy trouble" (I don't need to know where
every bathroom in the mall is--or at least I didn't until I started
potty-training a toddler.)  A foggy memory (until I started suffering
from child-induced sleep deprivation.)  Multiple chemical sensitivity
(now but a memory.)  Nasty antibiotics as vitamins (I spent 3 weeks
out of every 12 on high-dose broad spectrum antibiotics to treat
recurrent infections.)

After so much time gluten-free, I've really forgotten many of the
"inconveniences" of my former lifestyle.  I now chase an active 5 year
old child, full-time.  Being gluten-free as a mom actually has some
benefits!  "No dear, we can't have lunch there; Mommy wants to eat,
too and the food there gives her a tummy-ache."  I probably had the
only two-year-old in Los Angeles whose favorite lunch was "Thai
noodles."  Even now, she usually asks for something for lunch that we
both enjoy:  Mexican, Thai, or Chinese.  We eat better at home, and my
daughter is more willing to try new things than most of her
classmates.

Even travel is easier.  When I first started on this diet, I carried
supplies that would give me anywhere from 2000 to 5000 calories a day,
depending on climate and expected activity level.  Now, I can pack for
an extended trip by throwing a few protein bars or some nuts and dried
fruit in my pack, knowing that I'll be able to replenish supplies
along the way from gluten-free items routinely carried in most chain
supermarkets.

In trade for the bread, cookies and cakes of my former life, I have
been given a wonderful new life to live, full of amazing places to
visit, wonderful new friends to visit with, and the energy to do it
all!

:                                            :
:        Excerpts from _Alamo Celiac_        :
:        ----------------------------        :
: Mar. 2000           Lynn Rainwater, editor :
:               San Antonio CS Support Group :
:                           1023 Cloverbrook :
:                San Antonio, TX  78245-1604 :
:............................................:

Thiamin, Riboflavin, and Niacin in the GF Diet
a review by Lynn Rainwater

This is a review of "Thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin contents of the
gluten-free diet:  Is there cause for concern?", by Tricia Thompson,
MS, RD, Journal of the American Dietetic Association, July 1999.

The objective of this study was to determine if gluten-free cereal
products available to American celiacs contain similar amounts of
thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin as the enriched wheat flour products
they are intended to replace.  Thompson chose these nutrients to look
at because dietitians in this country do not expect deficiencies in
them and therefore may not check their levels in the diets of celiac
patients.

Results
-------
Nutrient data was available on most of the commonly used gluten-free
flours with the exception of the newer bean flour combinations.
Thompson found that gluten-free flours (with the exception of corn
flour and corn meal) are not vitamin-enriched, although some mixes and
products were enriched.

Here is a summary of her results:
  * None of the 15 varieties of rice flour were enriched.
  * Corn flour and corn meal were available in both enriched and
    unenriched varieties.
  * Only 35 of 368 gluten-free products looked at in the study were
    enriched.
  * Only 4 of 16 manufacturers/distributors carried enriched products.
  * Only 5 of 95 mixes were enriched.
  * Only 26 of 117 ready-made products were enriched.
  * None of the 80 pastas (13 brands from 10 manufacturers) were
    enriched.
  * 17 gluten-free cereals from "less commonly known" cereal
    manufacturers were not enriched (Kellogg's Corn Pops were
    enriched.)

A comparison of 64 gluten-free products with similar wheat flour
products showed that many gluten-free cereal products do not provide
the same levels of thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin.  Thompson found
that 39 gluten-free products contained lower amounts of all three of
these B vitamins, while 14 were lower in two of them, and 6 contained
lower amounts in one vitamin.  (Four gluten-free products contained
higher amounts of all three vitamins, and one contained the same
amounts of all three.)

In her nutrient comparisons, Thompson unsurprisingly found that brown
rice flour compared more favorably with enriched wheat flour than did
white rice flour; indeed, the level of niacin in brown rice flour was
equal to that in enriched wheat flour.  Soy flour, both defatted and
full fat, also showed well in comparison, although soy was also
somewhat lower in nutrient levels than enriched wheat flour--with one
exception:  full fat soy flour had more than twice as much riboflavin
as enriched wheat flour.  The really bad news came when several other
commonly used gluten-free flours were looked at:  Potato starch flour,
tapioca flour, and cornstarch contained no thiamin, riboflavin, or
niacin.

Recommendations
---------------
Thompson makes the point:  "Dietitians may suggest consumption of more
nutrient-dense, gluten-free cereal foods in the form of whole grains
(e.g., rice and corn) or enriched products, as well as an increased
intake of non-cereal-based foods rich in one or more of these
nutrients, such as legumes, nuts, seeds, green vegetables, dairy
products, meat, poultry, and fish.  Vitamin supplementation may also
be indicated."

Thompson pointed out that celiac women who are pregnant or
breastfeeding have increased demands for thiamin, riboflavin, and
niacin and should be monitored to avoid deficiencies.  Also, any
celiacs who depend on unenriched gluten-free cereal products may
develop deficiencies.  She concludes that "..the gluten-free diet of
persons with celiac disease should be routinely assessed for
deficiencies of these B vitamins."

:                                                                    :
:                 Excerpts from _Derby City Celiac_                  :
:                 ---------------------------------                  :
: Winter 1999-2000                       Bill Banks, editor in chief :
:                      Greater Louisville Celiac Sprue Support Group :
:                                                        PO Box 7194 :
:                                         Louisville, KY  40257-0194 :
:....................................................................:

Hints for Making Pasta
----------------------
by Marge Johannemann

At our September meeting Marge Johannemann demonstrated pasta making,
using the Kitchen Aid 325 watt mixer.  Marge created spaghetti with
the meat grinder attachment and the pasta making plates.  (These
attachments are available wherever Kitchen Aid appliances are sold.)
Marge used Bette Hagman's Homemade Pasta recipe, on page 150 of her
first cookbook, The Gluten-Free Gourmet; Living Well Without Wheat.
Here are some of Marge's tips for successful pasta making:

1. When cutting pasta using the Kitchen Aid Mixer and attachments,
   the dough should be slightly dry.

2. Pasta is easy to cut by hand.  Roll the dough very thin and cut
   with a pizza cutter..

3. Be careful not to over-cook pasta since it tends to absorb liquid
   from sauces, cheese, etc.  and will fall apart.

4. Store bought dry pastas can be very good.  Again, don't overcook.
   I prefer using Bi-Aglut corn/rice spaghetti or Ancient Harvest
   quinoa (pronounced KEEN'-WAH) elbows, shells and spirals.  I find
   that these pastas hold their shape and taste more like wheat
   pastas.

5. Rice lasagna noodles work very well for lasagna dishes and De Boles
   makes a no-boiling oven-ready variety.  You will get the best
   results using their recipe for Basic Lasagna that appears on the
   box.  (This recipe calls for more sauce, since the sauce cooks up
   faster with dry noodles.)

6. GF homemade pasta does not dry well.  You can make several batches,
   however, and freeze them in zip-lock freezer bags for use at a
   later time.

7. While there is nothing quite so delicious as homemade pasta, boxed
   varieties are more than acceptable for casserole dishes.