From:
Meyda Yegenoglu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 09:04:15 -0700

Hi all,

Earlier I sent the summary of the responses I received regarding my
question about finding GF in UK, but  my post bounced back on the
grounds that it was too long. So, I'm sending them now in two parts. I
have sent them to individuals who contacted me and wanted to receive the
information I gathered. But recently one person suggested that I post
them to the general list.

Meyda

So, here they are:

From: Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>

You wrote:

There are Indian restaurant all over the UK. Since their curries are GF
they are the easiest to eat at. Here are some tips:

Indian restaurants are easy to eat GF at, or they should be as their
curry dishes are thickened with chick pea flour.  Wheat does not grow in
hot climates, so is not used much in traditional Indian cooking, even
less so in very hot parts of India like Madras.

This is what you have to watch for.  The homemade cheese should be made
with lime juice, however some, to save money, use vinegar.  Also all
dishes should use fresh tomatoes, unfortunately some use canned tomato
paste, which at least here in the States has HVP in it.  Tomato paste
will most likely be used in the Chicken Makni.

Appetizers can be GF or not.  Pakoras (vegetable fritters) are usually
made with chick pea flour.  Samosas are usually in wheat casings, but
will be in chick pea flour if from Madras (which will usually be a
vegetarian restaurant).  If they use different flours, they probably
share the frying oil, so I tend to avoid them.

Chicken cooked in the tandoor oven will have been marinated.  Again it
should be in lime juice and not vinegar, but you will have to ask.
Since bread is cooked on the sides of the oven, the person tending the
oven could have wheat flour on their hands.  When removing the meat from
the skewers (it won't touch the oven sides) the person should use a
piece of paper, and not their hands.  To be safe one can just avoid
things from this oven.

Some restaurants will start you off with papadum.  It is a crispy wafer
made from lentil flour.  They usually fry it in its own oil, but they
can also, on request, bake it.  I've had some problems with this at
restaurants, and I'm not sure I will continue to eat them there.

From: Lisa Marino <[log in to unmask]>

HI,

I travel to the UK frequently because my husband is from there.  I have
had great success in eating GF.  Safeway stores, on their brand
products, will have a disclaimer "Suitable for a gluten-free diet."  And
many other brands of things you'll find in the supermarket will also
have the same kind of disclaimer.  Tesco, another major supermarket,
usually has a small section of GF foods, plus decent breads.
Sainsbury's, yet another chain, usually carries bread and bits, but I've
had to search for them there.

Eating out is about the same as it is here in the US only most people
are much more familiar with CD over there.  I ask lots of questions and
can most always be accomodated, even in pubs!

Mind you, I mostly travel to the Manchester area so I'm not sure about
the availability of GF products in London and Birmingham.  However, it's
a huge city, and if you find one of the stores I've mentioned you
shouldn't have trouble.

Have a fun trip.

Lisa in NC