From:
Marra, Cathy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:27:57 -0400

My daughter, now  9 1/2 years old was diagnosed with CD in September, 1999.
Since going GF her weight/height gain has been minimal - - about five pounds
and 1 1/2 inches.  Jenna now weighs about 45 lbs. and is about 44 1/2
inches.    She is also asymptomatic. Neither myself nor my husband are large
people.  I'm 5' 2" and he's about 5' 6".  So, given her genetic make-up I
don't expect her to be that tall.  We have all tested negative for CD.  My
son, (Jenna's twin brother) is on a more even keel with his peers, whereas
Jenna, who is in fourth grade, is about the same size as some of the
kindergarten children.

I'm beginning to feel that there is possibly something else going on.  From
what I've read, malnutrition and growth retardation are often the hallmarks
of cystic fibrosis.  Also, CF affects the digestive system, blocking the
release of vital pancreatic enzymes needed for the absorption of food.
Another symptom is excessive appetite but poor weight gain, which could
certainly be my daughter.  I know you also need to inherit a CF gene from
each parent to be a carrier, and neither of us have CF, so I don't know what
to think.  Plan to discuss this with the GI at Jenna's appointment the end
of this month, but just wanted to run it thru here to get some feedback.

Jenna also sees an endocrinologist for "slow growth" and the results of her
last bone age x-ray came back as age 6/7!

Thanks for listening.

Cathy from Cherry Hill