From:
Chris Gralapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:10:33 -0700

Many thanks to all who responded to my thyroid query.  Apparently autoimmune
illnesses such as CD can be accompanied by other such illnesses.  One of
these is thyroid disease, most typically manifesting as hypothyroidism with
benign nodules (which produce no antibodies), or occasionally with
Hashimoto's disease, which produces detectible antibodies.  So, where there
is one autoimmune condition, it is possible that you are susceptible to
others.

Thyroid difficulties can manifest in a spectrum of ways, so it is best to
consult an endocrinologist if you can.  Don't wait for symptoms to get
worse.  Most common symptoms of hypothyroidism, which occurs in women more
often than men, are fatigue, exhaustion, weight gain, depression, falling
hair.  In my case, I have a thyroid nodule that is driving me mad, and I
would like to have it out, since the thyroid hormone doesn't seem to be
making a difference in it's size.

The most useful information can be found at several websites, as many people
have suggested to me.

A woman named Mary Shomon runs a very useful and well informed website
about thyroid issues at: http://thyroid.about.com

The specific information about thyroid and celiac is found at:
http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa040700a.htm?once=true&

Her broader overview site is at:
http://www.thyroid-info.com

For conducting a medical information search, use:
http://www.i-med.com/gupta/medline.html

A specific study found during a celiac + thyroid search can be seen at:
http://www.infotrieve.com/healthworld/std_format.cgi?med98-99+108878+(celiac
)+AND+(thyroid)

A comprehensive and easy to use medical site at Columbia Med Center:
http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/thyroid/index.html

Take the time to check out these sites at your leisure--they are full of
good information and are easy to understand.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Gralapp, MA, CMI
Medical and Scientific Illustration