From:
CATHERINE JOHNSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 09:45:15 -0500

     Steve Bean asked about testing his little girl for CD --

     Steve,

     Get thee to a pediatrician or pediatric GI and have the Ig- blood work
     drawn.  Since you have CD and she has possible symptoms you have a
     good reason for concern.

     I just had my almost 3 year old screened with less significant
     symptoms than your daughter has.  His blood work showed definite
     "allergies" to milk and wheat.  We are doing more blood work and maybe
     a biopsy to decide whether he has CD or not.  If it is CD, we need to
     know as soon as possible and get his GF diet going.

     I have read a recommendation that 1st degree relatives of a known
     celiac have screening blood tests done every 2 or 3 years.  We had
     blood drawn for my 4 year old daughter last week.  She has no symptoms
     at all.  I keep encouraging my parents and siblings to get some blood
     studies but no one wants to listen.  They like their wheat bread and
     pizza and beer too much.  I'm hoping I can show them how little they
     are missing as they see the fullness of my cuisine.

     Good Luck, Steve.  Keep me (and the list) informed about the results.

     Cathy in CT