From:
Christina G <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christina G <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:15:47 -0600

Spicy Dip (this was on Food Network website with Emeril's Pork Boulettes[Deep Fried Pork Balls]--see http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_17832,00.html for that recipe)

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.

Spicy Dip:
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons minced green onions
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1 tablespoon Creole mustard, or other hot, whole grain mustard
2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
Pinch salt

In a bowl, combine the ingredients and mix well. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and serve with the Pork Boulettes. Yield: about 1 1/4 cups

**********

Chips and Bean Dip

Rosarita Refried Beans
Ortega Thick and Chunky Salsa
Fritos or Tostitos Corn Chips, or Corn Tortillas

Mix a little salsa into the beans. Scoop with corn chips, or you can also put on corn tortillas for burritos.

**********

Hummus Recipe

2 cups chickpeas, cooked or canned
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/4 cup or more water
salt to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon paprika

1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place in a blender or food processor with the lemon juice, tahini, and minced garlic. Blend well, adding water as needed to form a smooth paste. (Add less water to make a thicker hummus for sandwich spread.) Add salt to taste.
2. Scrape hummus into a covered container and refrigerate overnight or at least three hours before serving.
3. Remove hummus from refrigerator 1/2 hour before serving. Spread onto a shallow plate, swirling top with the back of a spoon. Drizzle olive oil and paprika over top. Serve with pita chips or bread triangles and raw vegetable for dipping.
4. Makes about 3 cups, enough to serve at least eight as a party dip or to fill 6-8 sandwiches.

**********

ARTICHOKE SALSA

1 jar (15 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
¼ cup kalamata olives, chopped
¼ cup onion, minced
2 Tbsp. roasted red peppers, chopped
½ tsp. Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

In a bowl, stir together all ingredients to blend.  Cover and refrigerate several hours before serving.  Makes 6 (¼ cup) servings. This can be served w/ veggies or GF/CF/SF crackers or breads.

**********

There are also fruit salsas you can try (like mango salsa).  Other dips include roasted vegetables pureed
with olive oil (such as a roasted red pepper dip) and herbs or eggplant or olive spreads.

**********

Use the Knorr spring vegetable soup mix recipe on the side of the box...it's very good. Also,1 cup sour cream, 1 cup Hellman's mayo, juice of 1 lemon, 1 TBl. garlic powder, 6 oz crumbled blue cheese = the best blue cheese
dip/salad dressing!

**********

Liption Onion Soup Mix is GF and makes a wonderful speedy dip. Mix one packet into 1 pint of sour cream, stir until well blended and Viola!~Dip is ready! Also one can make a tasty dip with warmed refried beans, salsa, season to taste, melt cheese over top or stir melted cheese into dip for yummy bean dip. (BTW Velveeta is GF and wonderfully meltable!)

**********

Hellava dips are GF (ready to server - dairy section) also, Lipton Recipe Secrets with sour cream also this easy one-  1C mayo & 1C grated parmesan & 1 14oz can artichokes drained - bake 20 min add bread crumbs if you wish & bake 5 min more.  Great with crackers, chips, peppers, celery & carrots - l little hard for broccoli
or cauliflower.  Of course you will need to make sure your ingredients are GF. Also, 1 lb. velveeta cheese melted & add 1 can rotell - makes a great queso dip & you can use chips or veggies.  Also the Hellman's (Best Foods) dipping sauce next to the mayo is GF.  Hope this helps. Note - I recently read that Lipton had wheat starch in the onion soup - don't know what kind they were talking about or whether it was US or Canada. I just bought Recipe Secrets - Onion- this week & it says corn starch.

Pesto

I take 1/2 salsa and 1/2 mayo.  It is great with veggies almost a 1000  Island dressing with a kick.  My gluten eating friends love this.

Try Miracle Whip with any or several of Mrs. Dash.

I like Baba Ganouj- eggplant dip. http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Baba%20ganouj%20%28tangy%20eggplant%20dip%29  I use more tahini than this says, but do it to your taste. This has a slight sweet taste, not like eggplant. If you have a gas stove, put your eggplant on top of the burner, turning it as it burns the outside. Then place in sink with cold water running, peel the burnt outside skin off.