From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:16:09 -0500

Unfortunately, Science Friday isn't aired in my broadcast area.

However, coincidentally (?) our local PBS station last night aired a
full hour program sponsored by the CSA during a time slot usually
occupied by the Newsmaker Luncheon.  It was interesting and well engineered,
and must have been fairly recently produced as gives the 1/133 prevalence
figure from the Fasano et. al. Archives of Int. Med. paper, but it dwelt
on bathroom issues so much that it missed the point that 50% of the newly
diagnosed celiacs in that study did not have bathroom issues, and claimed
to be "asymptomatic."   I've suggested to many people that they get tested
because of one symptom or another, and the reponse is often, "but I don't
have diarrhea or intestinal complaints!"  That program unfortunately kept
that stereotype going.  Too bad when an opportunity existed to reach a
lot of people about celiac disease.  I'm sure that the Peter Green program
will be spot on.  Sorry I have to miss it.  Perhaps it will be online later.

I searched the archives and found no mention of the CSA program, nor on their
website.  Seems like it should have caused a stir on this listserv....

Mary