From:
Joyce Mandell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joyce Mandell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2013 21:27:18 -0400

I received over 8 replies today about my question re. the safety of
gardening (handling) and eating veggies grown in commercially available
compost.  the consensus was that eating the veggies is safe.  Two people
mentioned they garden with compost and have never had a problem.

I found this response helpful:
I am a master gardener in Arizona (since 2001), spend a lot of time
composting, and have been gluten free since 2003.  So I hope I can
adequately address your question.

There should be no gluten problems related to commercially purchased
compost.  High temperatures that are reached during the composting
process accelerate the breakdown of proteins, fats, and complex
carbohydrates (which would include gluten).  Seeds, most diseases, and
many pesticides also are broken down into harmless constituent chemicals
and particles during the composting process.

If you are still concerned, I would advise you to contact the
manufacturer to inquire about the source ingredients in the compost or
to make compost yourself out of your kitchen and yard waste.  There are
lots of internet resources to help you learn how to compost and also
your State Cooperative Extension Service is likely to have a master
gardener program that also could help you to tailor your efforts to
succeed in your particular climate.

I have decided that my daughter with celiac can garden but I will ask
her to wear gloves and clean up after gardening.  The veggies are safe
after being washed.

Thanks for the help.  Love this listserve.

*******
*******