From:
Doug and Robin Schantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 07:37:41 -0400

One more comment on the subject.

Sometimes it's not the dietitian, but the horrible pile of paperwork
that you have to fill out in the hospital.  I had a planned c-section
last September and I must have written that I needed a gluten-free diet
on at least a dozen of the many pre-admit. forms I filled out.  Even
though it was written for them to see, the right papers didn't make it
to the right people.  I was still served breakfast with a bagel, a
sandwich for lunch, and pasta for dinner.  By my last meal before I went
home, they finally got it right--but it was only fruit salad and a
yogurt.  The dietitian in my case didn't really know much about where
gluten was found other than in bread, but she at least checked with me
when she finally found out what I needed.

Kudos to Susan Shea for wanting to learn more about what people with CD
need, and teach them what to look for!

Robin in Michigan