From:
MICHELLE ADAMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 10:36:49 -0500

Just came back from a cruise on Royal Carribean
and the e-mail from E. Yates has promted me to
share my experience.

I faxed my restrictions to the travel agent who
forwarded them onto Royal about three weeks
before the trip and she told me to meet with the
head of the dining room once I get on board.

I took the original fax with me and then some.

Went to the kitchen to find no one, then went to
the Pursers Desk - they told me he was out
(off the ship) where we came in at - for people
who didn't have assigned seating for dinner.

So, we went back off the ship and he was there.
I told him my name and mentioned the fax.  Alan
(the "Head Waiter") told me they NEVER get
the faxes.  It is better to mail your requests directly
to the Ship (i.e., Royal Carribean Cruise Lines
ATTN: Head Waiter of the Nordic Empress)

I felt my heart drop.  I gave him all the papers I brought.
He was aware of Celiac.  We discussed what I could
eat.  Chicken, Fish, Meats & Steamed Veggies.
He told me everything would be OK.

That evening at dinner, Alan came over to me and said
that I would be having grilled chicken with only S&P on it
and steamed veggies.  I agreed that was great.

Everyone got there appetizer, then salad (which was small)
and my waiter brought me a BIG salad - that in itself
could have been my dinner.  THEN, I was served my
meal which was delicious (I stayed away from the butter,
because I was unfamiliar with the brand name)

Alan came over to me to check to see how I was doing and
felt that it wasn't enough to eat and he told the waiter to bring
me another dinner.  EVERY NIGHT I HAD TWO DINNERS
BROUGHT TO ME.  I felt like a queen.  They pampered me
soooo much.

The next night everyone was eating their dinner and I still hadn't
been served - I never questioned a thing - Alan came over
to me and told me that he thought he saw something that looked like
grain on my plate and he sent it back.  When everyone was
eating dessert (which they asked me if it was OK to take dessert
orders) - I finally got my TWO meals.  They were delicious - Salmon.

That night at the Midnight Buffet, I saw the Head Chef standing
near one of the tables.  Having three glasses of Champagne in me
already, I went up to him and introduced myself.  He already knew
who I was and he apologized about the late meals.  I could have
cared less.  I told him because of their concern I have had two
wonderful days in St. Thomas and St. Martin and I thanked him several
times.

The next night, as I was walking to my table - I could see they
already had my BIG salad waiting for me -  even before anyone
else had ordered.

Breakfasts were OK - The Buffets you can have fruit, cheese &
scrambled eggs.  The same goes for the dining room.

*** Make sure you eat Breakfast in the Dining Room on the last
day - because the other is only a Continental breakfast.  I did
not make it to breakfast (wasn't paying attention) - and when
Alan saw me at Continental Breakfast - he told me to go down
and eat in the dining room even though I missed my time slot, so the
group that I was with all went down and they took care of everyone
of us.

Lunches - I had fruit & salad and I had Champagne every night.

I think they fed me better than I feed myself.  Only being GF for
4 months, I'm still having mistakes - but I didn't have One on the
ship.

I took a loaf a bread (that got moldy), cans of fruit, peanuts,
cracker jacks, energy bars from Miss Robens, crackers and
peanut butter - and only ate my food when I was off the ship.

Took American Airlines - whom I called twice to make sure they
understood what Gluten Free meant.  To San Juan, I had
scrambled eggs, potatoes, honey dew and a BAGEL !!!
(individually wrapped though, so it didn't touch my other food)
and on the way home, I had grilled chicken, steamed veggies,
honey dew and a MUFFIN !!!!! (again indivdually wrapped)
I asked my husband to taste it to see if it tasted GF.  He told
me the it was too good to be GF !

I'll be writing letters to both American and Royal Carribean.

The book "Against the Grain" does not recommend Royal Carribean.
I understand that the book was written a few years ago and things do
change, but I'm glad I didn't go by just that one recommendation.

I highly recommend Royal Carribean Cruise lines (and no, I have
no affiliation with them) and don't forget to give exceptional tips
to those that have done their job right.

Happy Cruising!!! Michelle in MD