From:
Matt Skogmo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:49:11 -0800

My friends and family have been wanting me to mention this to you all for
some time.

My sister and I are both celiacs.  We used to have a very difficult time
eating out in restaurants.  You all know the drill, trying to explain to the
hostess or waiter/waitress what we can and cant eat etc.  The celiac card is
useful, but in my humble opinion, has WAY more information than some minimum
wage server ever wanted to know.  The information is factual and correct,
but it is too much.

One thing that every server, chef, restaurant owner knows is food allergies.
You go into a restaurant and you tell someone that you are allergic to
peanuts or shellfish, and they get a mental image of a choking, gasping, red
person who has to be carted out of the restaurant by EMS.  That has a
tendancy to disrupt the other diners.  I take this tack, although not
entirely correct, when I go to a restaurant.  My celiac card reflects this.
First of all, it is the size of a business card.  Much more convient.
Second, one side of the card has a list of the major foods that we cannot
eat.  The title just says I have Celiac Sprue.  I am allergic to:  then
comes the list.  The other side of the card is split into 2 sections.  The
top has the information on contact/contamination/contents.  Then there is a
short list of OK foods.

Both my sister and I have had WONDERFUL luck with the card.  I just get a
slew of them printed up at a local copy shop like Kinko's and have them in
my wallet at all times.  They are disposable, and very handy.

Since the list serv does not allow attachments, if you are interested in the
card, email me directly and I will send you all of the files that you would
need to take to kinkos.  Just give them the files and out comes the card!  I
also have a .pdf of what both sides of the card look like.

Hopefully this does not trod on too many toes.  I was just looking for a way
to make MY life easier, and it works well for me.

Cheers.

Matt in California

Matt Skogmo