From:
Cheryl Windsor-Juarez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 02:16:58 EDT

In a message dated 22/06/00 01:00:45 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< We are going on a Missions trip to the Dominican Republic for eight
 days.  Does anyone have any experiences to share?  I am taking rice cakes,
 corn tortillas, peanut butter and nut thins.  I am hoping they have fresh
 veggies, fruit and meat to buy.  We will be in the northern section.

 Thanks for any info.

 Diane
 Diane Donald, Technology Consultant
 Clemson University Graduate School
 Clemson, SC  29634-5713

Hello. The Dominican Republic has plenty of fresh food there. I used to take
trips there when I lived in next door Puerto Rico. Yes, you can buy fresh,
fruit, meat and veggies, but there should be a number of cooked dishes open
to you, too. One thing that is very tasty and safe is rice and beans and
chicken which is a common staple there as it is in Puerto Rico. Just ask for
Arroz Con Habichuelas (also Arroz Con Frijoles) and Pollo Frito. Another
delicious thing is fried plantains. When they are still green and fried, they
are covered in  light garlic or given a dipping sauce then, they are called
Tostones. But when they are left to ripen they become sweet and are deep
fried, they are called Amarillos. Amarillos are a wonderful side dish...... I
hope this helps.

CherylSky
(Middlesex, England)