Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 1995 07:32:00 UTC

My medical reference manual says 1 in 30 people will have Bell's palsy
during their lifetime, so it stands to reason some people on this list are
going to experience it someday. So, for future reference, I'd like to note
that I tried taking the corticosteroid "Prednisone" which is commonly used
in the hope that it will help reduce permanent damage and speed recovery. I
did not check to see if it was gluten-free but I did not react at all for
the first three days to it. However, on the fourth day...I felt like the
world had ended. Prednisone's possible complications =do= include GI
problems, and I believe it crashed into my as-yet unhealed celiac small
intestine. I suffered pretty horribly for 48 hours even after I stopped
taking the stuff, and, five days later, am still an unhappy camper (you
know where I'm camping, too, don't you).

Anyway, this is not medical advise, obviously, but if Prednisone is
ever prescribed for you, you might want to discuss it with your
gastroenterologist before agreeing to take it. (I was taking 40mg/day in
four 10mg doses throughout the day.)

Linda Blanchard
Midland TX USA