From:
Ellen DeHaven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:03:05 -0500

This is an urgent message for parents of infants with celiac sprue.

I have a grand-nephew, less than a year old, who has had an intolerance
to all formulas, has been known to have colon bleeds. My niece has asked
several times if the doctors think he has celiac. All they do is say
"no" without even testing him. He has been so miserable the last several
days, they have taken him completely off the formula and on to pedilite
until his intestines calm down. Poor baby has been crying for days and
cannot be comforted. Does not sleep more than a few hours at a stretch.

I was diagnosed 4 years ago with this, so I know all about celiac sprue,
but don't know about infant celiac.

*Please*, those of you who have gone through a problem with your infant,
please tell me what your baby's symptoms were before he/she was finally
diagnosed with celiac. I need to know if the baby had symptoms without
eating baby food, just being on the formula.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Ellen, Fort Wayne, IN