From:
Dorothy Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 12:00:44 EST

I got some excellent information on GIs in the Wash., D.C. area; here's a
summary.  I have an appointment with Dr. Sidney Malawer next week.  Thank you
for your responses.   - Dorothy

* One person suggested contacting NIH.

* One person suggested going to the Center for Celiac Research in Baltimore.

First, the good doctors:

* Dr. Sidney Malawer in Bethesda, Maryland, is "...extremely, I mean
extremely knowledged in celiac disease among other things..."  "...he is
highly intelligent, gregarious and caring."

* "We LOVE our pediatric GI, Dr. Benny Kerzner at Children's Hospital."

* "Dr. Alan Schulman is attentive and knowledgeable and up on current
research."  He's in the Rockville/Gaithersburg area.

Now, the not-so-good doctors:

* I visited Dr. Shiela Levin and had a very very negative experience; she's
in the Rockville/Gaithersburg area and is a partner of Dr. Schulman who is
mentioned above.

* Another person said that Dr. Levin diagnosed her CD, but she
"...practically had to chase her down the hallway to finish asking her
all of my questions."  She now goes to Dr. Schulman, her partner.

* Dr. Mohan at Children's Hospital is "a terrible GI."

* Dr. Fassano/Horvath at the Univ. of Maryland "didn't seem very interested
in [my daughter's] case."  They were too busy and it took a long time to get
calls returned.