Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:23:57 -0400

Thanks to all who responded to my question about continued nutrition issues.
I failed to mention in my first post that my daughter is 6 and we've been
gluten free for 2 years. It is unclear how long she actively had celiac. She
had no gastrointestinal symptoms. She had seizures which started probably a
year before diagnosis by biopsy.  Seizures disappeared within the first
months gluten free. The seizures are clearly related to celiac and result
from nutritional deficiencies. It takes some time before nutritional
deficiencies will cause seizures so she may have been celiac even as an
infant.

Many people said that persons with celiac always have some malabsorption
problems. Others noted that healing of the gut takes a long time and during
that time malabsorption will continue. One person even said that a doctor
said it takes one year of being strictly gf with no accidents to make up for
each 7 years of eating gluten.
.
A few people said to consider other food sensitivities like corn, dairy,
chocolate, oils, tomatoes, high fructos corn syrup. Dairy was cited more
than anything else. My daughter has an allergy to whey protien so we already
avoid dairy.

Many people suggested enzyme supplements and probiotics. The brand
Culturelle was suggested.

Another person said to consider liquid supplements, such as those produced
by Awaken Nutrition.
One person suggested supplementing with lithium. A nutritionist I recently
spoke with suggested lithium as well. Other supplements to consider is
magnesium, vitamin D, cod liver oil, l-glutamine, B12, and folic acid.

Lastly, another condition to consider is pyroluria, a condition independent
from celiac which ties up B6, zinc and manganese.

A book recommended was Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Balch and
Balch.

Thank you for your insights,
Betty