From:
ABIGAIL NEUMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:06:06 -0500

I would like to hear from female Celiacs who have tried various vaginal
anti-yeast medications and have suffered adverse reactions.  I am trying
to figure out if it is just me, or if perhaps there is a gluten connection with
the ingredients.  I am so sensitive to the medicines that I even react to
Diflucan, an oral medication.  The reaction I get, from the oral medication
(along with some gas) or the topical creams or suppositories,  is intense
burning  and inflammation in the vagina which can take months to clear
up.  The only cream I have been able to tolerate in the past is
Monostat--but it usually takes at least two weeks of treatment to clear up
the problem, so I have tried alternatives.  All of the others burn like crazy
and cause the tissue in my vagina to crack and actually weep out blood.
It makes sexual intercourse unbearable it hurts so bad, and the pelvic
exam to check out the damage done wasn't a piece of cake either under
these circumstances.   Please write to me if you have had such a
reaction, or any adverse reactions from these medications.   I had my
pap smear around June 1st, got yeast, used Diflucan and have been
suffering ever since.  The manufacturer of Diflucan told me they have
never heard of such a reaction before.  (And I doubt they put it in their
records that I ever had such a reaction.)  Please let me know if you
called the manufacturer on any of these products and what their
response was.  Thanks.  Abigail