From:
Michelle Forsman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Forsman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 00:39:39 -0800

This was my letter to the gluten-hater and her entourage:

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michelle Forsman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: January 15, 2006 11:04:36 PM PST
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Fwd: Gluten Intolerance Stupidity

To  Ms. Truss, Ms. Rose and Mr. Goff:

It has come to the attention of the celiac community that a passage on
page 5 in Ms. Truss' book, "Talk to the Hand" reads:

" I now can't abide many, many things, and am actually always on the
lookout
for more things to find completely unacceptable. Whenever I hear  of
someone
being 'gluten intolerant' or 'lactose intolerant', for example,  I feel
I've
been missing out. I want to be gluten intolerant too. I mean,  how much
longer
do we have to put up with that gluten crap?"

Ms. Truss, do you also feel you are missing out on being blind or being
on kidney dialysis?  Since you state that you find celiac disease
(gluten intolerance) unacceptable, do you even know what it is?  I
suspect not, or such an asinine statement would not have been made.
Let me enlighten you.

Celiac disease, also referred to as gluten intolerance, is a chronic,
inherited, autoimmune digestive disease that can lead to malnutrition
if untreated.  The gluten-free diet is a life-long commitment and the
only treatment to control the disease.  There is no cure.  Celiac
disease is the result of an immune system toxic response  to the
ingestion of gluten (a protein found in wheat, rye, barley and oats)
that damages the small intestine.  This means anything in the grocery
store made with flour (bread products, cereal, flour tortillas...) ,
malt, soy sauce, tomato paste, modified food starch, molasses, and many
other ingredients can not be eaten.  Consumption results in an
inability of the body to absorb nutrients: protein, fat, carbohydrates,
vitamins and minerals, which are necessary for good health.

Symptoms of undiagnosed or untreated celiac disease (not following a
gluten-free diet) include:
	Diarrhea
	Bloating
	Weight loss
	Weight gain if only absorbing fats
	Anemia
	Chronic fatigue
	Weakness
	Premature Osteoporosis
	Cancer, especially lymphoma
	Bone pain
	Epilepsy
	Migraine headaches
	Muscle cramps
	Constipation
	Constipation alternating with diarrhea
	Premature osteoporosis
	Asthma
	Early menopause
	infertility
	Miscarriage
	Depression

  Children have additional symptoms:
	Behavioral or concentration problems
	Growth failure
	Late puberty
	Dental enamel defects
	Projectile vomiting

Maybe you feel like you are missing out on other diseases common to
those who suffer with celiac disease as well.  Which ones would you
like to  have?  Addison's Disease?  Myasthenia Gravis?  Pernicious
Anemia?  Insulin Dependent Diabetes?  Hepatitis? Lupus?  Thyroid
Disease?

We can not eat any of the "gluten crap" you refer to without causing
great harm to our bodies.  I am sorry that you are tired of it.  Try
not being able to eat out, not being able to go to parties without your
own plate of food or spending hours shopping in the grocery store
reading labels and calling manufacturers to verify gluten content or
the absence of it and see if you get tired of that.

1 in 133 Americans and Canadians have celiac disease.  There are an
estimated 2 million Americans afflicted with it.  Even more Europeans
have celiac disease.  Not a single person diagnosed and on a required
gluten free diet likes it, but that's what it takes to heal and
maintain our bodies.  It is not a lifestyle choice like being a
vegetarian or going on the Adkin's diet, it is medically REQUIRED.

Ms. Rose, I am dismayed that your company even published a book with
snide comments about those with disabilities.  Future printings of this
book should have those references removed.  I have returned my copy of
the book since I had not started reading it yet.

Mr. Goff, celiac disease is more frequently diagnosed in Europe than in
any other part of the world.  Details of the disease are well known, so
you should be more familiar.  Shame on you for allowing your client to
publish such an inappropriate comment about such a serious disease.

Ms. Truss, do you still "want to be gluten intolerant too"??  With the
high rate of celiac disease, you should have the blood work drawn and
the intestinal biopsy to test for it.  Maybe you too can be one of the
lucky ones so you don't have to feel like you are missing something.
Life will be so much fun for you when someone else says that they are
tired of "that gluten crap" when you have no other choice in your diet
than to not eat it.

Michelle Forsman
Sequim, Washington

"DEACcat"