From:
Arthur Spiegel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Spiegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 17:25:14 -0400

OK, I don't usually share this family recipe, but for the Celiac community,
I don't think my Aunt Connie would mind.   Obviously, you don't have to make
this much, but if you're feeding a family, these will make 'em happy. This
recipe is a guaranteed crowd pleaser and is completely GF!!

 - 1 pound ground turkey
 - 1 pound ground beef (some people will like to add in ground pork, too -
It's not Kosher, but . . . )
 - 1 egg per pound of ground meat (for this recipe, 2 eggs)
 -    Garlic powder, to taste (about a tablespoon, more or less)
 -    Salt to taste
 -    Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
 - 1/2 cup bread crumbs or use a few tablespoons of rice flour or potato
flour.  Recently Whole Food Markets had some outstanding savory bread with
sun dried tomatoes which toasts and crumbles nicely. You can use any GF
bread, toast it and crumble it.
 -    Oregano Flakes to taste (a nice rounded teaspoon or 2)

Combine wet and dry ingredients, thoroughly. You gotta get your hands messy
to make good meatballs. Form meatballs about golf ball size. Lightly fry
them in extra virgin olive oil until brown all over. Finish cooking in red
Italian gravy. This is best if you can cook 1 day in advance and let the
gravy and meatballs get to know each other over night. Serve hot.
Delicioso!!

Italian Gravy (PLEASE DON'T CALL IT SAUCE)

5 to 10 cloves of fresh garlic - minced (You gotta have plenty of gahlic, to
do it	right)
1 large onion, minced
1 red pepper chopped
1/2 pound chopped mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy)
Salt to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
Good sized sprig of fresh Basil chopped
1 pound sweet Italian Sausage (pork or turkey is fine) cut up into 1 inch
pieces (Also, some people like spicy Italian style sausage in this recipe)
1 pound of ground turkey
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 large can tomato puree
1 small can tomato paste
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 cup of your favorite wine

Finely mince garlic, and chop onion. In a large sauce pot, start to fry in
EVOO until onions are translucent and starting to brown. Don't let the
garlic burn, or it will be bitter. Add in chopped red pepper and chopped
mushrooms. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Saute. Remove veggies from
heat and set aside. In same pan, brown the sausages. Remove from heat and
drain fat. Brown ground turkey, adding salt and pepper to taste.  Pour in
some wine to deglaze the pan and get up the brown bits on the bottom. Return
the sausage meat, and veggies and add some salt and pepper.  Add crushed
tomatoes, tomato puree and tomato paste. Add rest of wine, basil and sugar
to taste. (The longer you have to let this cook, the less sugar you'll need,
as basil will sweeten the gravy. If you have less time to cook, use more
sugar to taste.) Stir gravy mixture well. Add in the meatballs. Cover and
let cook on a low heat. Stir occasionally, so nothing sticks to the bottom
of the pot.  During the cooking process, taste from time to time to add
seasoning as desired. Some people like their gravy spicier than others.

This is a terrific red gravy for spaghetti or any other pasta. You'll think
you've died and gone to heaven. Mangia!!