From:
Mary Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 2015 16:48:32 -0700

Here are the responses I received:
1. South India is the home of vegetarian foods, rice, and coconut. Curries like korma are more common in the north and usually contain some form of wheat. Watch for them in the south. I'd say the only "bready" type foods that are gluten free are idlies, pongam, and appam. They're made from rice. Dosas are also usually safe for us. Ask if they're only made with rice and lentils and that they didn't slip in some wheat. The traditional recipe for dosas is without wheat.

The common dish Sambar often contains asafoetida (also known as hing). Ask the cook/chef about it.

I was in South India (Kerala and Bangalore) three years ago for nearly a month and had a wonderful time without any GI distress. I probably don't need to tell you to avoid street food. That's a first-class pass to illness! :-)

2. I was in Rajasthan and Gujerat last year.  Those are northern areas and I had no problems.  While they have wheat, they also use chick peas and millet in many ways and had plenty of rice.

This may not be helpful for the south, but I encourage you to go and use language cards.  I was just in Morocco, printed out  celiac advice in Arabic on a full size page and put it in a clear plastic folder.  It worked wonders for me as waiters and chefs took it very seriously.

3. My son who is quite gluten sensisitive went to a wedding 3 years ago in India and got so badly constipated
From the gluten in his food that I worried till he got out of India and into Hong Kong when he had access to knowledgable doctors who got his gut moving again. I was invited to go also but couldn't afford travel. If I had gone, I would have been in big trouble with my gut given this lavish wedding.

I would for one...
Go only to the highest class hotels where there is someone who can help you get correct food for every meal.

Also this link: http://www.legalnomads.com/2013/11/gluten-free-north-india.html <http://www.legalnomads.com/2013/11/gluten-free-north-india.html>