From:
Sanna Vander Waal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:41:31 CDT

Got lots of answers to my question. Thanks to all of ya!

"Made in USA" did not refer to the origin of the starch but to the FDA
regulations, which state that "starch" has to be derived from corn (or else
the source has to be identified i.e. wheat starch) and therefore is
SUPPOSEDLY OK. Modified food starch, on the other hand, can be anything
(wheat, corn, potato...), and therefore not OK. It has to do with whatever
happens to be the cheapest starch in the market at the time of
manufacturing. A product that was once made with gf starch, may be ruined
with wheat the next time.

I was reminded that this regulation does not apply to pharmaceuticals! So
don't count on the starchy pills you pop on being gf...

I was also told that recent rulings require food manufacturers to identify
the source of "Modified Food Starch". Yippee!! :) HOWEVER, FDA allows a
manufacturer to continue using old, prior labels until the label supply is
exhausted -- even if the recipe, supplier or regulation changes.

I was also reminded that the FDA is a regulator, not an enforcer. So, I
guess we'll just gotta keep on calling the food manufacturer.

Thanks to all for a great list!

Sanna :)

PS. It's the attitude that counts! We eat to live, not the other way
around..