From:
"Charles I. Searcy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:25:09 -0500

Elizabeth B. Frierson wrote;

>Please forgive my ignorance, but what can we use a grain mill to mill?
>Does it offer some economies on the prices of our flours in the long run?
>
>Also, can we make our own nut flours in the cuisinart or in a grain mill?

Elizabeth,

 I don't think save money grinding my own flour. However I reduce the
chance of cross contamination with unwanted and harmful gluten.
I grind different kinds of beans, tapioca pearls and non-gluten grains
difficult and sometimes impossible to find in flour form at the store.
No, you can't grind most nuts or some grains or beans by themself
as they contain to much oil. However, as most of my flour is a mixture
of grains and nuts (ie; rice, starch, bean, corn, soy, and sometimes
nuts.) I mix them before I grid them. Keeping in mind to use more
non-oily grains then oily. Also you can grind most nuts using a
blender as they are not as hard as rice.
One other thing is I pretty much know my flour is fresh and what is in
it. Hope I've been of some help, Chuck.

Trying to live gluten free in Tampa, Fl

E-Mail