From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:08:18 -0400

I've been to Chevy's Fresh Mex in Brick NJ twice in the last two weeks.
It was wonderful to have some freshly made Mexican food!  The first time
I went it was with a non-Celiac friend of mine.  We spoke to the waiter
about CD, the gluten free diet, and cross-contamination.  He was
conscientious about discussing my needs/wants with the kitchen staff.
The second time I went with my sister, also a Celiac.  The second
waitress knew about the gluten free diet because a family that eats
gluten free dines at their location regularly.  While the majority of
the two visits went well, one instance of cross-contamination made my
sister ill.  (She is more symptomatic than I am.)  Here's the details:

1. No quesadillas - although customer service had indicated that we
could have quesadillas with corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas.
The kitchen staff said that since the corn tortillas are so much smaller
than the flour tortillas, they couldn't make us a quesadilla with them.
2. As with many restaurants, gluten containing foods are cooked on the
grill.  So, it's necessary to discuss the importance of clean pans and
utensils for cooking gluten free foods.
3. Both my sister and I had the succulent shrimp fajita (no rice, no
black beans).  They were absolutely delicious!
4. On one visit I had burritos (cheese and chicken).  They were very
good, but since I'd been dairy free for 4 months and have just recently
begun eating dairy again, I found the food to be too heavy for my taste.
But, it was very palatable.
5. Customer service said not to eat the corn chips since they were
cooked in the same oil as the flour tortillas for chimichangas, etc.
However, the waitress my sister and I had said the corn chips were
cooked in a second dedicated fryer (where they cooked only the corn
chips).  She even went to the kitchen to double check this fact.  So, my
sister and I ate the corn chips.  We think this is how my sister got
sick from the restaurant food.  (She was exhausted the rest of the day
and had a two day headache.)  Nevertheless, the next day she ate her
leftovers (and of course the corn chips weren't in the doggie bag).
Although she got a terrible headache after eating at the restaurant, she
felt no worse after eating the leftovers.  So, we will NOT eat their
corn chips again.

Dawn @ the Jersey Shore