From:
Betsy Linn Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betsy Linn Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:15:11 -0500

Listmates:

My post about kasha and its gluten-free status got a number of
buckwheat/kasha and a few disliked it.  Key points are summarized
below.  When more information or a response is indicated I have
provided it flagged with an asterisk (**).

-one person reported a reaction to the Pocono Cream of Buckwheat and
raised questions about possible contamination with processing.
**For a description of the milling process and testing for gluten see
http://www.thebirkettmills.com/gluten/glutenfree_2003.htm  They do
sell wheat products under the Birkett label.  The products that are
listed as gluten-free.  I sent them one e-mail query about possible
contamination issues, but as yet have not had a response.  The
products that they list as gluten-free are as follows:
Larrowe's Instant Buckwheat Pancake Mix
Pocono Cream of Buckwheat
Pocono Light and Whole Buckwheat Flour
Wolff's Kasha
Wolff's Whole Buckwheat Groats
Another source of GF buckwheat:  Creamy Buckwheat Cereal, Buckwheat
Flour, Kasha, and Buckwheat Groats is http://www.bobsredmill.com

-another person uses Pocono Cream of Buckwheat without problems.  "To
make it more economical I mix one box with 1/2 bag (2-2.5 pounds) of
grits....I cook it in the microwave using milk and adding raisins."
**Since grits are often contaminated, I did ask this listmate about
the brand used.  Brand name is Jim Dandy grits, made, or handled by,
http://www.marthawhite.com @ phone number 1-800-663-6317.  Product
POP number is 13300  12407.

-several listmates requested my recipe for meatloaf.
**I substitute cooked kasha for the breadcrumbs in any recipe (I use
a slightly smaller amount) or wing it on my own.  I will make
meatloaf soon and post the "recipe" then.  In the meantime, The
Birkett Mills has a recipe for turkey meatballs using kasha--you
could make a turkey loaf too--or substitute beef for turkey.
http://www.thebirkettmills.com/recipes/turkeymeatballs_2003.htm

-of interest:  one listmate has a daughter named Casha, short for for
Casimira which is a Polish name.

Betsy
Austin, Texas