From:
Deb Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deb Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2011 21:11:46 -0400

Hello ListMates,
Thank you for all of the thoughtful responses to my inquiry about tolerating gluten-free oats.  Seems oats are a hot issue for many of us. Many of us have just given up on oats. A few have found a brand they are able to tolerate. I’ve learned a lot from all of you.
Since diagnosis I have really missed my morning oatmeal. And my daughter didn’t know how she could live with oatmeal cookies. The fact that Oats are the most nutritious of all the cereal grains made me even more determined to get oats back into our lives. Many of you suggested Bob’s Red Mill. And I love and trust all of his products but I have tried his GF oats and find I can only tolerate a tiny bit. For my daughter, not even a crumb will do for her. We had to cross it off the list. Cream Hill Estates seems to be a good choice for some. I’m trying to find it here.
As I mentioned in my original email, I have been researching a new species of oats that was developed at Montana State University which seems to be very low on the allergen scale. It’s actually very close to rice. They are grown, harvested, processed and packaged in a dedicated facility here in Montana. So, after reading several testimonials from other sensitive Celiacs, I preceded. And on a leap of faith I decided to experiment. I started out very slowly, a little every other day. Then added more oats every week or so. I have been sampling these oats for over a month now – with NO issues. My daughter just started the process last week. She is a very sensitive Celiac and she seems able to tolerate them as well. The science behind these oats is fascinating. I’ll post it as soon as I have read all the data.  Also, before writing about them, I wanted to hear from our GF community. I am truly grateful to everyone who replied. There were so many responses that, to make it a manageable read, I’ve taken the liberty of editing and consolidating them below.
Thanks again,
Deb Wheaton
www.notevenacrumb.com
"Raising Awarenss, One Crumb at a Time"

1)If you read the research it says that some celiacs don't tolerate oats.  Oats does contains a type of gluten, but it's not as toxic as that in wheat & oats has much less protein overall.  Since oats is not a major grain like wheat, even less $$ has been invested for research on oats than for wheat, which is minimal..
2)When the original study was does in Finland, those who reacted at the onset of the study were allowed to drop out. I have a copy of Eat Right for your Type by Dr. Peter D'Adamo.  They tested various food proteins against blood type & gauged the reaction--similar to how they type blood. Some cause an immune system response while others did nothing or enhance immune system function.  It is interesting that those with blood Type O, the oldest type--the hunter/gathers, is the only group who should avoid oats.   I'm a type A and can't think of a good reason I would want to eat oats after almost 30 years GF. Rice is on the Type O diet & I make hot cereal from 1/3 c. jasmine brown rice and 1-2 Tbs. flax seeds, which I grind in my coffee mill.  (Much easier/fresher to make as I need it from rice I have anyway than to have a bag costing 3 times the price of my rice taking up space in my fridge.)  It's cooked with 2-3 c. of water for 20 minutes or until rice is done & desired consistency. The flaxmeal gives it the slimey/gooey consistency of oatmeal.  It's a favorite with my 5 yo granddaughter so we've started calling it N'Oats!  Her dad, my son, eats oats but he's a type A.  Granddaughter is not a fan of her dad's oats!
3)I buy only Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free. I am very sensitive, and have no problem with this brand, which is processed in a dedicated facility. I do not buy his non dedicated oats.I also used to buy Lara's Cream Hill Estates...guaranteed GF. No reaction.
4)I saw your gf oats post on the celiac board- I just talked to my doc
about this. She (Dr Semrad at UofChicago Celiac Disease Center) said
some celiacs CANT tolerate oats at all, even gf oats. evidently the
protein in oats is SO SIMILAR to gluten, that it can trigger a mistake
autoimmune reaction in some celiacs cuz the body cant tell it apart
from gluten. Dr Semrad said most people who ate oats before celiac disease "kicked
in" for them are able to tolerate oats, but she doesnt recommend more
than a half cup a day (at least to me...but i think i can tolerate
them anyway,,,but she still says half cup and thats it for me). she
told me some people who never had oats pre-celiac-active-disease
sometimes have a tougher time tolerating them.
5)I buy Legacy Valley GF Whole Grain Quick Oats. I have never had a problem with these.
6)We probably should not eat oatmeal more than once or twice a week, not because of gluten, but because of our sensitive digestive systems. While I can say I feel no reaction, it is backed up by a very good upper endoscopy a couple of years ago, where doc said my insides look perfect, and bloodwork done for a GF study. Both show I am not reacting.
7) I use the brand "gluten free oats" frequently because I know their quality control is great.  They run around 3 ppm of gluten because that is the lowest you can test.
8) There is a certain subset of the population that just cannot handle or tolerate oats perhaps the both of you are in that category?  This is regardless of whether they are GF or not.   If you are in the US – have you tried the 2 types of GF oats that are grown in Canada?  One is Only Oats and the other one is Cream Hill Oats.  Cream Hill was the first gluten free oat product available in North America; they have been around for quite a while and have really great oat products for baking – groats, quick oats, oat flour etc.  Only Oats has more of the baking mixes for you to add milk, oil and eggs to like Cinnamon Oat muffins.  I have had both products and while I did have challenges with oats when they came out (eating too much) when I took it more slowly I was just fine.  They say 1/2 cup for an adult a day is the limit and I had to do under 1/4 of a cup in the beginning and cease the straight up cooked oats.  I found that I tolerated them better if they were in something – so I started adding them to the muffins that I made.  Now I can handle oatmeal cookies and oatmeal that is half oatmeal and half hot brown rice.
 9) I have heard of the new variety of oats coming out too – I think that they are going to test grow it in Alberta on a plot of already gluten free soil.  I have been able to eat any GF brand of oats that I have been able to find including some from a farmer who does not raise wheat or rye.  I have several oatmeal cookies  that I have made almost every day.
10) I've been gf about as long as you.  I had GI issues when I tried oats after my first year gf anniversary.  I stopped eating them for three + more years after that.  I'd have some hear and there, but really, not much as I was working my way to paleo eating. I just tested for cross-reactive foods via Cyrex Labs' "Array 4" and found I didn't not cross-react with oats.  I did to a few other gf grains (quinoa and buckwheat).  I'd been eating all those foods, so I was surprised I didn't to the oats.  I had no outward issue that I could tell from eating quinoa and buckwheat.  I'm trying to heal a leaky gut though, so I'm cutting them out.
As for the species of oats I was consuming, I have no idea.  After my first year gf (oatmeal for bfast and oatmeal cookies and then the bathroom!): Gifts of Nature oatmeal. More recently:  Udi's au naturel + vanilla oats granola (http://udisgranola.com/products).  I have had Gifts of Nature within the last two years to see how I'd do, and I didn't have to rush to the bathroom like before.You have a nice site and I visit "Montana" when I can thru your eyes.  Take care.
11) Wow, oats is one thing I don't miss in the least. I THINK I had a bad reaction to oats once and that was the end of that. Personally, I wouldn't keep eating something I have a bad reaction to.
12) I'm OK with any brand of GF oats and even tolerated McCann's before GF oats were readily available. BTW, my GE recommended I try oats, and I was successful. But oats are funny. I had to work up to a full serving. If you care to try again, here is what I found successful: Eat 1/3 of a serving on day 1. You may have problems. Skip a day and do the same thing. Skip a day and do the same thing. If by the third try you are OK, go to 1/2 serving, and skip a day, repeat. In other words, work up to a full serving, and at the beginning don't have a full serving every day. But about 1% of celiacs are sensitive to oats, even GF oats. The researchers at the University of California San Diego medical school have a video that speaks to this. Maybe you and your daughter are among the 1%. There are similarities between oats and wheat, but those similarities are in a lower proportion in oats. You may be reacting to the similarities which some of us celiacs manage to ignore.