From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 1995 08:15:59 -0500

Here's an easy and lesser known way to cook this alternative grain (though
the thread's not quite as dramatic as the lobster one). Don Wiss.

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Microwaved Corn-ON-the Cob - Details Needed

From: [log in to unmask] (Richland Tester)
Date: 14 Nov 1995 00:03:40 GMT

I cook it with the husks on all the time.  Just throw it in and let it
cook.  I usually cook it for 2 min and then turn it.  After about 8-10
min total it is usually done.  Jus peel and eat.

=======================================

From: Gandalf The White <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 19 Nov 1995 02:57:18 GMT

I also cook corn on the cob in the microwave, however,
I soak it in water for awhile first, or wrap it in a
wet paper towel, very wet. It seems to cook faster and
more tenderly. Leaving the corn in the shuck is much
easier when it comes time to take the shuck and hair
off. I find the hair comes off completely and easily
after it has been cooked in the microwave. You may
have to wear some rubber gloves or use another dry
paper towel when the corn is still hot. Or tongs can
work too.

From: [log in to unmask]
Date: 14 Nov 1995 19:02:16 GMT

Not even that much preparation is necessary.  I do this all the time,
and it makes the best corn (other than grilled) that I know of:

Take the corn, in the husk, and microwave on HIGH.  Depending on your
oven, a single ear will be done in 3 to 5 minutes.  For two ears, add
about 1 1/2 to 3 minutes (in other words, 4 1/2 to 8 minutes for two
ears).  Exact times depend on the microwave used, the size of the ears,
and how you like your corn (I like it cooked but firm;  my friend
Barbara likes it very soft and cooked.  I give hers an extra minute.)
The only way to know the exact time is to practice.

It's a good idea to turn it over about halfway through, so the bottom
area is on top.

After it's been cooked, take it out of the microwave and set it on a
cutting board.  Use a knife to cut off the base, where the stalk is, and
trim at the base any leaves that still remain attached.  Then stick a
cobholder in the base, and using a towel or potholder to protect your
hand just twist the husk right off.  The silk will all slide off, as if
it had been greased.

Delish, easy, and no cleanup.  The perfect food.

From: [log in to unmask] (Pat Asher)
Date: 24 Nov 1995 11:26:27 GMT

I've been cooking corn with the husks on ever since I got my microwave.

I don't clean the corn, just put it in the microwave, cook at high for two
minutes, rotate the corn, and cook for two more minutes.  Let steam in husks
for one minute.  When cleaning the husks and silks, the corn is *very* hot,
so I use thick oven mitts or several hot pads.  I love this method, though
because the silks come right off, and, especially, because the corn is
absolutely delicious!

I've even cooked large amounts of corn on the cob (about 20 ears) at one
time.  Rather than turning it halfway through, I stopped about every 10-15
minutes and rotated all the corn, end to end, top to bottom and side to
side.  It still came out delicious!

My new microwave has a turntable (and higher wattage), but I think if I were
cooking large amounts of corn I'd still move the ones in the middle to the
ends, and if there were any stacked on top, I'd move those too.