Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:12:10 -0400

Hi-  I have celiac and am a first time mom to a 4.5 month old.  The pediatrician suggested that I start both rice and oatmeal cereals ... I've done the rice, but I'm a little hesitant about the oatmeal since it may be contaminated with wheat.  My plan is to introduce wheat products normally and just monitor my daughter's progress since she may or may not have celiac herself, but I don't know if I should wait a little longer for any items that may be potential problems?  The last thing I want to do as she is learning to transition to solid foods is cause her to feel bad from what she is eating.

I know there has been much discussion on here in the past regarding how to handle food with babies who have parents with celiac, and the general consensus has always seemed to be to go ahead and do things like normal and just monitor things closely.  I am okay with that approach in general, but I am curious as to others' experiences/timing of food introduction and which foods you did first.  Maybe oatmeal cereal is really okay since the amount of wheat contamination would likely be small?

Thanks!