From:
Claire Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Claire Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2011 20:16:36 -0500

Thanks for the responses re: ways to cook with nutritional yeast. People sent actual recipes, general suggestions, and websites with rich nutritional yeast content. Here is a summary:

http://beyondriceandtofu.com/2010/04/18/recipe-review-double-bean-pasta-with-tomatoes/

http://www.bookofyum.com/blog/gluten-free-vegan-breakfast-tofu-saute-with-nutritional-yeast-8192.html

Sage gravy, cauliflower gratin, dips, etc: http://toyourhealthnutrition.blogspot.com

yeast gravy - start with a rice flour roux, add similar quantity of yeast as flour, then milk (or soy or coconut milk for the vegans.)
Adding a bit of onion and garlic to the fat used in the roux is good, also a splash of GF tamari or amino acids enriches the flavor if you like those
seasonings. I've served this with steamed veggies and rice, or as gravy for tempeh.

marinara sauce over GF pasta; I also mix in almond butter & flax seed.  Usually I take 1/2 cup marinara, 1 TBSP AB, 1 TBSP flax seed meal & 1 TBSP nutritional yeast

I use it on kale chips to give them a cheesy flavor

Jules Shepard uses it in a dairy-free quiche in her cookbook. It gives it a very savory, cheesy flavor without the cheese.

On popcorn, with a shout out to a different brand: http://lewis-labs.com/products/brewersyeast.htm

Time to start cooking!

Claire Baker
http://so-what-can-you-eat.weebly.com